Complete France Forum

On heat/in season

londoneye

hi

My puppy is over nine months and has not come into season yet; as i need to take her to vet tomorrow anyway (those floppy ears are playing up again), I wanted to mention above to vet.   Thus my question; what is the french for in season please ?   my dictionary does not seem to have anything suitable (the nearest i can get is my dog (well not a dog but i cant put the word) is not hot !! and i dont think thats going to do it somehow !

Don't worry - dogs can have their first season any time up until they are 18 months old.  The 'normal' time between seasons is 6 months but it can vary in individual dogs between 5 - 15 months.  There is a family/breed pattern so if you are in contact with your dog's breeder they may be able to tell you at what age the mother had her first season and what is normal for the breed.

thanks - she is as far as you can get from a breed - can't even guess at what kind of cross she is, because there are probably so many different types in there, and mother was a rescue dog, so no chance of getting any info from that source.       I don't intend to breed her of course, and she will be sterilised after first season (vet advised that she should have one season before sterilisation) but we are looking after a friends uncastrated dog at end of february for some days and am getting paranoid that she will elect that time to come into season, which will then be a nightmare!

ok - a supplementary question pls.   Been to vets and been advised that he doesnt expect puppy to come into season before 10 months (because of her size ?).   anyway i choose to believe him at this point.

Trouble is, i was having a 'non french day' eg whatever he said to me could as well have been in chinese!   Went for dog's ears.   Ongoing problem, tried a few things, she still scratches and howls like a dement.   

Anyway, i personally believe she may have a dermatological allergy problem.   Getting back to the point he has given me some stuff for ear-holes (different to last time, but i understand what its for - Aurizon - has anyone used it?).   Some 'advocate' (before we were using frontline) - does this replace frontline (my understanding¬) or is it in addition to?

and some Oro-Medrol ... missed the point of these altogether - anyone used them.  

I feel really feeble today - normally i muster it up at the vets, but as i say, having a non-french day - now scared of killing dog by over-dosing her!

Let that be a lesson to anyone moving here - some days you feel (ha ha) almost fluent, other days - well you might as well not bother getting out of bed!

Londoneye, do not worry too much. My dogs are neither spayed nor neutered and the female comes into heat on a non regular basis. I use Bien Etre lavender cologne liberally on her back end and the male gets a good dose on his chest.  This confuses them no end and stops any doggy hanky-panky!!! Incidentally, the lavender cologne is good for keeping those bothersome summer flies away as well.  It also smells better than a bitch in heat.  I buy mine in the local Shopi, but I have seen it in bigger supermarkets as well. 

0Helen

I have just seen your latest post.  I do not know the medicines in question, but when my dogs have any skin problems that seem to be allergies/irritation based, I bathe them with lukewarm weak tea which sooths and acts as a mild antiseptic.  I first discovered the benefits of tea used like this when one of my sons had a persistant eye infection and on my GP's advice I bathed his eyes three times daily.  This did the trick and I use nothing else on eyes in my doggy and human household.

0Helen

londoneye - don't think your ear stuff will replace the Frontline.  If the ears get back to normal then make it routine practice to clean them every week using either ear cleaner from vets/pet shop or olive oil.  Tip product into the ear, fold ear in your hand squish around and then wipe away the dirt using moistoned cottonwool or baby wipes.  Don't poke anything down the ears just wipe where your fingers can reach.  Don't wait for the ears to get dirty or irritated again as the dog will go into an itch/scratch/itch cycle.  If she has very hairy ears then comb them each day after her walk to stop grass seeds atc getting inside.  If the ear flaps themselves are sore then sudocreme (for nappy rash) works very well.

Hope that might help.  The cologne thing does help repel boarders during seasons, but don't rely on it as a method of contraception.  If it is helpful to know dogs don't usually mate until around day 8 - 12 of the season so no immediate panic if the male is there during the first few days.  The season lasts approximately 3 weeks and the dog is fertile and ready to be mated from about day 8 to about day 16.  During that time it is not safe to leave her alone at all with the male and don't leave her outside unattended as either dogs could get into the garden or she could make a bid for freedom.  Even the most prim little ladies can turn into raving nymphomaniacs at such a time!

oh no so i may have a raving nymphomaniac on my hands soon !   Next doors ***** is in season right now, and we have two VERY large and love-sick dogs sitting opposite most of the day, quite prepared to be partners in crime until they get their chance; I suspect at that point the companionship ends!   So I fully expect them to shift down a few feet and do the same outside my house in the new few months or whenever she does come into season.    Both are more than capable of jumping my fence, so although I hate the idea of keeping her in, i shall probably do so for my own safety.    Not so worried about the little male we are looking after, as i can probably handle him, but i wouldn't want to mess with my neighbour's ***'s suitors !

thanks for all advice - it wasn't the ear stuff actually which i thought might replace the frontline it was the advocate which seems to provide the same function?    I will try some of the suggestions given, especially the tea etc, as i dont want her to spend the rest of her life back and forth to the vets and on medication (and i am not even going to talk about what it has cost me!)

Yes - sorry about that, use one or the other.  Vtes seem to have gonne off Frontline, but I am cynical enough to think that is because people can buy it cheaper elsewhere!

Good tip when your bitch is in season - put her in the car and drive her elsewhere for her daily excercise (away from other dogs)  even if you normally walk do that and it will save you lying a treasure trail straight to the front door.  And, watch that litttle dog, the small ones are often the quickest.

• 3 months later...

hi cerise, or anyone else who can help.

I think it's finally happening, my bitch is paying a lot of attention to her rear end, but not half as much attention as next door's dog paid to it, yesterday on walk.    Last night she woke me up three times to go outside for a wee, but there is no blood, just a foamy white sort of discharge (sorry if anyone has a weak stomach).     checked on internet and I can't find any mention of this.    Any idea if I should count this as first day of season, or wait for blood to appear?   

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I haven't had a dog since I was a child, and so personal experience is a bit limited.

Sounds like it - so long as discharge is clear or white there is usually blood after a few days - first day of bleeding is normally first day of season.   To check for blood dab dogs parts with white tissue/toilet paper after she has been out for a wee as it is not always apparent.  Sometimes not much blood for a first season and it may not last as long as normal - normal is about 3 weeks.   The dog will probably wee a great deal more than usual, marking the territory    If gunky, green or smelly discharge then trip to vet in case of an infection - but don't worry all sound normal.  If you are having a panic then pm me if you need any more advice.  If she is in season do not leave her outside unattended even if your garden is fenced.  Some of those local Lothario's have ladders!!  She is not ready for mating until the second/third week of the season so you have a few days to batten down the hatches.

Archived