Complete France Forum

Needing a name

Goldfish

On Saturday we go to pick up our beautiful new dog. She's a beautiful border collie who unfortunately is called Akon (after a singer) or Lonely (after one of his sonngs). She is such a pretty dog and neither of the names suit her at all.

As we're hoping to move over to France soon I was thinking that maybe a French name was in order but as my French is still....limited I thought I'd ask here. So any suggestions? and meanings if possible please.

Here she is

Akon.jpg picture by Maisey21

France, being a country just a mite (mile ?) over-regulated, tries to insist on dog and bitch names chosen from an alphabetical list appropriate to the year of birth e.g. this year seems to be a "C" for bitches (pause for humourous interjections). So you must obtain from your mairie the relevant list for the year of the new mutt's first appearance.

I don't know what the punishment is for failing to adhere to this eminently ludicrous rule but no doubt someone will tell us.

John

not

Our springer pup was born last July and thus in a 'C' year and we called him Chablis.  This year presumably is a 'D' year.  When you arrive in France you can find a list of suggested 'D' names up on the wall in the vets.  It is not obligatory that you use this system but I think is a nice French tradition and it gives a long list of suggested names.  I think if you trawl around you will also find similar lists on the internet.  Whatever name you choose, the dog always seems to grow into it.  We weren't too sure about the name Chablis at the beginning, but it just so suits him now we are glad we chose it, it is sort of soft and cuddly like my pup.

We called our puppy Socks! However afterwards the joke was that we should have put Mademoiselle Brutitia Brute Babe on her passport for the fun it would have caused when we went through customs! I think maybe Bebe would be a sweet abreviation of this!

Archived