Complete France Forum

Electricity Costs

Just had my bill arrive yesterday. We pay monthly and for next year it will go up to €268 per month. The year end bill for 2013 was €2,806.03 but it is all the taxes and contributions (excluding standing charge) that gets me €624.96 Tax and Contributions plus a further TVA charge of €438.62 totalling some €1,063.58 about 37% of the value of the standing charge and electricity used.

I read that the French are having big problems paying their taxes in general which may get worse with the new tax reforms.

http://www.lefigaro.fr/impots/2013/12/03/05003-20131203ARTFIG00603-ces-francais-qui-ont-du-mal-a-payer-leurs-impots.php

With controversy over the new meters whose rollout across the whole of France has now been approved coupled with peoples feeling that they have already paid for the electricity that ERDF is selling to private resellers, the 90% reduction in bills for ERDF employees and the other massive perks they enjoy (whose value would be taxed in the UK) I can see how people are finding it hard and are also very unhappy.

Think yourself lucky as its far worse for low users like myself, my last bill totalled €31.42 of which only €13.31ht was for e electricity consumed, the rest was abonnement, taxes and taxes on taxes.

Another 136% added to the cost of the electricity consumed, you have it easy Q [;-)]

[quote user="Chancer"]

Think yourself lucky as its far worse for low users like myself, my last bill totalled €31.42 of which only €13.31ht was for e electricity consumed, the rest was abonnement, taxes and taxes on taxes.

Another 136% added to the cost of the electricity consumed, you have it easy Q [;-)]

[/quote]

Not for much longer if you have one of these Linky or whatever the thing is called fitted. It seems that for many currently on low tariffs the electricity they use is often above the 'limit' of the supply they chose. The new meter is supposed to be so accurate that it detects this and shuts you down till you stay within your limit or alternatively you will have to increase your supply. I read somewhere that this will bring in extra billions of Euros to ERDF. Same old problem as the UK in that the hardest hit will be the poor and elderly. I should have got a job with ERDF when I came to France, I would be so much better off now. [;-)]

Remember that the biggest shareholder in ERDF is actually the French government, so not only do you pay VAT but also the profits go into the bottomless cavern that is the French leviathan's appetite for other people's money.

Thus they have an interest in getting the comsumer to pay more.

Neat huh!

[quote user="Quillan"]

the 90% reduction in bills for ERDF employees and the other massive perks they enjoy (whose value would be taxed in the UK) I can see how people are finding it hard and are also very unhappy.

[/quote]

The best I can offer is to reduce the electricity used by swimming pool owners in france by 90% if that helps?

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Quillan"]

the 90% reduction in bills for ERDF employees and the other massive perks they enjoy (whose value would be taxed in the UK) I can see how people are finding it hard and are also very unhappy.

[/quote]

The best I can offer is to reduce the electricity used by swimming pool owners in france by 90% if that helps?

[/quote]

I can tell you how to say 100% of your swimming pool costs. [;-)]

Until quite recently the cost of une abonnement was proportional to the puissance souscrit, that is to say a 12kw supply cost twice as much per month as a 6kw one and four times as much as a 3kw one.

That has changed but only on the basic 3kw tariff which is now a lot more expensive seriously impacts the most vulnerable in society.

Part of the scam with the Linky meters is that if you subscribe to say a 6kva supply (6kw) your disjoncteur de branchement will be set to 30 amps which equates to 7.2kw and most of them will allow you to pinch another 10% so people are really going to get screwed by the new system of Linky meters.

[quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Théière"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Likewise I can tell you how to save 100% of your electricity bill if you want to go that route [:P]

What do you use all that electricity on?

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="Quillan"][quote user="Théière"][quote user="Quillan"]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Likewise I can tell you how to save 100% of your electricity bill if you want to go that route [:P]

What do you use all that electricity on?

[/quote]

Two washing machine, two driers, two dishwashers, four hot water tanks plus electric heating although most of that is now inverter reversible air to air heat pump units. My actual number of units burnt during the winter has gone down by a third for heating on one hand but we had guests during last winter from October to February and the early part of this year whilst not very cold meant the driers were running quite a bit.

[quote user="woolybanana"]It is the stick thing which golfers use right at the end to tap the ball into the hole. But the writer is a bit dyslexic as it should be 'putter'.[/quote]

Stick to mucky school boy innuendos they seems to be your forté. [:P]

Archived