Complete France Forum

If others will use your Holiday Home Be Aware

It appears that the Hotel Industry in France and Spain is complaining about the numbers who are "renting " out second homes .

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2523474/Brits-holiday-homes-Spain-France-banned-renting-tourists.html

One of the things that always irritated me about the people who live near my holiday home . Was their need to know who was staying in it when I was not there .  Only my family use it and the whole street knows them by now as they tell me they hear the children playing in the garden .

When I bought it years ago and was handed the keys the Notaire he said the house is now mine I can rent it out ! ...... Why do they assume  that we second home owners  MUST be making money out of them and MUST be avoiding paying French taxes . I am sure they think  "We would do it ...so they must be "

There are several sides to this Firstly, the State wants to enforce decent standards of holiday accommodation where property is rented out, which seems to me to be a reasonable idea.

But, second they want to ensure that every penny of tax and charges that can be screwed out of people can be got, which is as nasty as it gets, given the small amounts involved.

Thirdly the State wants to control everything which happens in our lives which is bloody nasty.

Fourthly, the hoteliers have been working behind the scenes to hit the gite and holiday rental industry which has almost wiped out small hotels. Given that many of them are hideous, old fashioned and very expensive, this is a very bad thing indeed, as yet another masonic lobby manages to get its own way.

Gites de France wants to have a monopoly of bookings and of property approvals which is not surprising in this country, but evil.

All this being said, people will still be able to lend their homes to friends and family I suppose but not get rent.How that is enforced is a mystery.

Just plain nuts.

A couple of years ago in France a new law was brought in requiring anyone renting out their property (gite / second home) to holiday makers to register this fact at the Mairie. It's very easy and not a problem. As before this income must be declared to both French and U.K. tax authorities.

This is not connected with  taxe de séjour. In our village we are not asked to pay this (T de S) but in many other areas it's applicable.

I believe this new issue is trying to clamp down on those who do not declare the rental income.

Edit: .............................................and there are many who think this is not applicable to them![;-)]

If they can get any money out of my kids and family for using my holiday home, I hope they let me into the secret? Listen this is just another French bureaucracy "lets think of something else to clog the statute books with" idea. Everyone will do what everyone always does with French legislation; and ignore it. [:D]

[quote user="NickP"]If they can get any money out of my kids and family for using my holiday home, I hope they let me into the secret? Listen this is just another French bureaucracy "lets think of something else to clog the statute books with" idea. Everyone will do what everyone always does with French legislation; and ignore it. [:D][/quote]

I know how you feel Nick............I get mine to do the gardening and other jobs .

[quote user="Frederick"][quote user="NickP"]If they can get any money out of my kids and family for using my holiday home, I hope they let me into the secret? Listen this is just another French bureaucracy "lets think of something else to clog the statute books with" idea. Everyone will do what everyone always does with French legislation; and ignore it. [:D][/quote]

I know how you feel Nick............I get mine to do the gardening and other jobs .

[/quote]

How?

[quote user="Araucaria"][quote user="Frederick"][quote user="NickP"]If they can get any money out of my kids and family for using my holiday home, I hope they let me into the secret? Listen this is just another French bureaucracy "lets think of something else to clog the statute books with" idea. Everyone will do what everyone always does with French legislation; and ignore it. [:D][/quote]

[/quote]

How?

[/quote]

Easy ........Tell them to get stuck in or a cats home gets the house !

Archived