Complete France Forum

le constat amiable ?

Dc

I recently read that if one has a car accident with another car that both parties must fill in "le constat amiable" and sign it. What is this document, do I need to keep it in the car and where do I  get it from??? Any help greatly appreciated.

regards

dc

It's called "un constat à l'amiable" and is a form with carbon copy to be completed and signed by all parties involved in a car accident. Each party forwards a copy to their insurance company and the form helps settle the insurance claim.

It is given a standard with all French insurance documents and if you are in the UK, should be supplied with your green card or on request.

If you are  involved in a car accident and do not have one, the chances are the other party will have one for you to complete and sign.

Without the submission within 5 days of an accident of the constat to your insurers, you won't be able to claim for anything. You should keep one in the vehicle all the time and they are usually supplied by your insurer each time you renew your premium or at any time you want to ask for one. I always ring for a new one when one of our vehicles has had to have a claim settled. If it is a serious accident too, the gendarmes will also want to see one filled in by both parties as is what you do anyway.

had my 1st accident over here - a fork lift truck reversed into me at speed in the 'parc exterior' at Castorama :(

Apparently the constat is the agreement of having had an accident and contains your version of events. If it's a 'constat amicale' then your version of events is the same as theirs - i.e. there is no conflict of opinion, as someone has already accepted blame.

If everyone involved signs it then it is the precursor of the agreements the insurers have between themselves, so that when you have your car fixed you don't end up paying for it!

When I insured my car here (about 10 months ago) all I got was the vignette and a certificate of insurance, no constat and no booklet of terms and conditions, I am with AXA - were they just being lazy?

I really would like to know what exactly I am covered for (not much really as I only have resposabilite civile) so waht should I ask for in addition to the constat amiable?

I find that almost unbelievable!

You should at the very least have received (by post usually) a pack containing your contract, a constat, a letter confirming your level of cover...

Do they have your correct address?

How do you know how to claim and what you're covered for?

Would you have chased this had this happened in the UK?

Clair

Yes they have my correct address, I did all the paperwork in the branch (they also insure the property) and just took what they gave me.

I will have to answer your 2nd question back to front, what am I covered for? with "responsabilite civile" as far as I am concerned nothing other than liability to 3rd parties and 3rd party property, therefore I don't need to know how to claim as I won't (myself) have anything to claim for, I do however have a phone number for european breakdown assistance.

As to the UK well nowadays it would probably have been done either on-line or via an Indian call centre but I am not in the UK and try very hard to not compare eggs with apples (my sort of no going back theory!).

Here I just need to go into town and ask, I have just been a little lazy in doing so, the posting about the constat jogged my memory.

The UK question was a bit glib I admit, but you'd be surprised (or

maybe not!) at what some Brits accept as normal here when they would

not in the UK...

Just to clarify (I am not having a go!), they should always give you a copy of the contract and the booklet forms part of the contract. So if you have your house insurance and car insurance with AXA for instance, you should have 2 booklets explaining what they expect of you, what you should expect of them, blah blah blah...

Clair your advice is welcome!

I now realize that I dont have a book with the terms for the house insurance either although it was arranged for me in my absence before moving here.

What exactly are the booklets (T's & C's) called in French insurance speak?

[quote user="J.R."]Clair your advice is welcome!

I now realize that I dont have a book with the terms for the house insurance either although it was arranged for me in my absence before moving here.

What exactly are the booklets (T's & C's) called in French insurance speak?[/quote]

I have just checked mine and it's entitled... wait for it...

"Contrat Multirisque Habitation" for the house

"Contrat Moto" for the bike

"Contrat Auto" for the car

Each is a thick-ish booklet giving the details of each type of cover, the options... well you know the stuff!

If I wanted to ask for one in French, I'd probably call it "une brochure détaillée" and I'd be prepared to give a more detailed description of it!

Archived