Complete France Forum

Zebra Crossings

Just Katie

A French friend told me that once the pedestrian has a foot on a crossing then he/she has priority.  But I would not like to test this theory, would you? 

The code de la route says:

Un passage pour pietons et materialise par de larges bandes traversant la chausee. It peut etre surleve.

L'arret ou le stationnement y est interdit (note it is not illegal to park right next to a crossing!)

Ralentir et s'arreter s'il le faut pour ceder le passage aux pietons qui traversent.  (Again, note, it doesn't say pedestrians waiting to cross - only in the act of crossing.)

[quote user="cooperlola"]

A French friend told me that once the pedestrian has a foot on a crossing then he/she has priority.  But I would not like to test this theory, would you? 

[/quote]

Well actually, I test it all the time en masse with many other pedestrians but nobody ever stops. 

On the pelican crossings, and when lights turn red, they do stop, but as soon as a gap between pedestrians emerges, they drive through it [blink]

You have to glare at them as you step off the road onto the passage pour piétons! Be brave!

[quote]“ ne pas céder le passage à un piéton, engagé régulièrement sur la chaussée

- c’est-à-dire sur des passages protégés ou non par des feux tricolores

- expose à une contravention de 4ème classe et à la perte de 4 points

sur le permis pouvant aller jusqu'à 3 ans. (voir article 415-11).[/quote]

[quote user="Just Katie"]On the pelican crossings, and when lights turn red, they do stop, but as soon as a gap between pedestrians emerges, they drive through it [blink][/quote]

After rear-ending and /or overtaking the rare beast of a car that stopped in front of them for the red light.

[quote user="Clair"]I see that you've already started to complain, just like I recommended in my list [:D]

You're on your way to be a true Parigot...[:P]

[/quote]

[:$] Ooops, I have proved you right. 

Another complaint.  Why do the waiters give me burned offerings for steak just because they hear me speaking English?  I have even ordered it rare and it comes back like brown card [:@]

Got wolf whistled at the other day by a policeman enjoying a smoke.  [:-))].  Dont get many of those to the pound in Surrey do we?

[quote user="Just Katie"]Why do the waiters give me burned offerings for steak just because they hear me speaking English?  I have even ordered it rare and it comes back like brown card [:@]

[/quote]

Order it bleu or saignant.

If it doesn't bleed when you cut it, send it back!

• 2 weeks later...

I have been to many rock concerts and festivals in UK and have never recalled anyone wearing earplugs yet I went to see Bruce Springsteen the other night in Paris and I reckon about 30% of the crowd were plugged. 

I find that awfully strange behaviour.

Archived