Complete France Forum

Tyre tread pattern!

Thebiga

A question for you all. I have had the old french way of only selling you a matching pair of tyres and have posted on that before.

1. I have a brand new spare in the boot of the car, but they no longer make that tread pattern anymore.

2. If I took in 1 wheel for a tyre, same maker but different tread they would not know.

3. Would I then have a problem when it comes to CT time when they see 2 tread patterns on the same axle or would they not look at that.

It makes it such a pain getting tyres in pairs because they want to have there own rule upon everyone elses rule, Its just a way of ripping you off at the end of the day. Its not a safety issue or anything like that they just want to get maximum money out of you...... 

You will not have any CT problem with different tread patterns or even tyres from diferent manufacturers as long as they are the same size and construction. Cars with ABS/ASB additionally have to have the rolling radius of each tyre on the same axle within a certain tolerance which is measured on the brake tester, I cant remember the figure but it is very wide, you would need one new and one bald tyre to fail it.

You are correct in your observations regarding tyre fitting groups, I never managed to overcome them even when walking to the garage with my "spare" wheel under my arm and a copy of the CT regulations in my pocket, they would rather lose a sale than admit being wrong or lose face, not that there was any need to do either, I was calm, non adversorial and just wanted to buy a tyre even to fit myself if necessary.

Given the price of tyres in France and the grief involved I buy from the breakers yards now.

All the French people I know are treated in the same way, the difference being they accept and believe what they are told by the "professional" after all he has done a formation [6]

I once spent a fruitless afternoon doing the tour of the tyre dealers in my local city trying to buy a tyre. This, combined with the silly prices was enough to put me off buying tyres in France for life.

I now either get them new when I am in uk (even if it means bringing the tyres down and fitting them myself if they are for a different car), or I buy them from a local scrapyard....30 - 40 € the pair, sometimes up to 60€ for more exotic sizes and they are generally less than 30% worn, (this is still very expensive imo, compared to UK scrapyard prices) or I buy second hand ones mail order from ebay germany - lots to choose from, usually big brand names, and very cheap indeed although finding private sellers willing to send them by international courier is a bit trickier.

I had to get a couple of tyres for our Citröen C8 a few years back and I was recomended to a place on the edge of Carcassonne. When I went in he asked if I had a spare and he had a look at it. The outcome was that he suggested that he sold me one tyre and put the new and the spare on the front and the best of the old ones became the spare.

He has a lot of recomendations from British expats around here and does a good job. Plus the price for the single tyre he sold me was better than anyone elses!

Not all rip off merchants peut-êtra?

What do you think would hapen if a british guy set up a tyre shop selling single tyres?

Bro in-law paid stupid money for some big posh tyres for his BMW. Found him the same tyres fron E-tyres who would meet him in the uk and fit them from their vans at the roadside I.E. the ferry port. And he would still have saved over 400 euros including the ferry trip, road tolls and diesel.

A 2000 Km round trip with a night in an hotel and the 2 daze spent driving would put the cap on it for me Teapot [+o(]. I think that my back would curse the next 10 visits to the physio to put it back again too? I have better things to do than try to save a few €s. Even several €s. I can remember the time when I had 2 Michelin tyres on the top of my trailer going back to the U.K. after a holiday here because they were on promo in a supermarket! Not now...

I am glad that if the rot is getting beaten then it's started close to here JR!!

I suppose there is always Andora for cheep tyres and it's a darn sight closer that the Manche! But can I be bothered unless it coincides with a visit we want to make to have a look at the place sometime?

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]Seriously though what are they putting in the coffee of the French populace to make them kow-tow and tug their forelocks to these voleurs?[/quote]Perhaps they might wake up if they were told they could only buy baguettes in matching pairs [:D]

Well, its each to his own, I suppose but I would never run different tread patterns or makes on the same axle. (apart from a spare to get to a garage following a puncture etc)

The performance of tyres varies greatly, as does the rolling radius between makes.

I would also never buy secondhand tyres as you would usually, have NO idea of the history of these tyres.

Your life can depend on these 'black circles', ffs.

I think in principle Bugbear you are right ffs. [:D]

It does depend on how you drive, if you're poodling around I don't think it's as important as if your are charging around.

The roads aren't flat and the differential takes up the different rolling radius. the desription of the tyre 195x60x15 means they are all produced within a tolerance band. Under and over inflation of the same tyre can have the same effect.

I remember Dunlops were made of rubber, before they became Dunrop kamikaze nylon. providing the traction, treadwear and temprature ratings are the same. There is a big difference in tyres when pushed around a track but mid range motoring it should be ok.

In my case it is "each to his own budget".

I used to fit a set of the best performing tyres that I could reasonably afford as a matter of course when I got a new (nouvelle not neuve) car, Toyo T1 proxes were a favorite, and I would also drive to their limits most of the time.

Nowadays my means are miniscule by comparison and my choice of vehicle and manner of driving have completely changed with an obsession for economy and longevity, it is altogether appropriate for me to exend this to buying tyres.

What history is there to know? I choose them carefully and can see that they have never been repaired, that there is no visible kerbing, tread or sidewall damage, I also keep a close eye on the pressures and sidewalls after fitting, this should equally be done with new tyres, in fact I have twice had sidewall bulges appear on new tyres within a couple of days.

If money were no object though I would choose and fit new tyres in pairs.

Every time you buy a used car, you buy 4 used tyres too - unless you automatically change all 4 when you buy a car? You dont know their history either, yet I doubt you give it a second thought beyond normal safety checks.

As said above, as long as you choose used tyres with your eyes open and a little common sense, risks are negligable.

I know for a fact, I would rather run a set of used Goodyears etc than a new set of Happy Lucky Tyre Company Inc budget tyres.

[quote user="dave21478"]

I know for a fact, I would rather run a set of used Goodyears etc than a new set of Happy Lucky Tyre Company Inc budget tyres.

[/quote]

[:D][:D][:D] They do have some great names dont they!

Of course you can drive in all confidence on happy go luckies if the tyre salesman assures you that they are alright and that they have the correct  markings (better still a NF[6]), he is after all the professional and has done a formation at some time in the distant past and you are just an ignorant particulier.

As the starter of this post I would in a ideal world and no thought of money fit the best I could get and in matching pairs.  Do they have a advantage over cheap makes in normal driving you would probably never find out. same as tread patterns yes some may shift water more than others but again you would probably never find the limit. In this climate I think that some people are now looking towards the cheaper tyre instead of the known makes. You will probably find that the better makes on a track would give you better grip because of better stickier rubber than a cheaper one. They will probably last about the same time, as I have found here in france. I will be one of the people trying a cheaper end of the market tyre. Of course as for motorcycle tyres, Always a good make as you have very small contact patches.

I have bought Goodyear, Michelin & Uniroyal here and they have all lasted about the same on my front wheel drive astra. They have worn out way quicker here than in the uk. Possibly a small change in some of the roads etc but a lot quicker. Could be a lot of reasons why.

I always bought Goodyear or Michelin in the uk and as a x-eployee of goodyear as a tyre fitter I have a good awareness about tyres and tread patterns rolling radius etc. One thing that I always thought was strange is that if you ever bought a new car the tyres it came with always lasted longer than any others you put on afterwards. Was it just in your head or was it the fact that the tyres that came with the car were a bit special and because they did so well you wanted to buy that make again, So making more money for that supplier. I saw this time and time again as we used to look after a lot of fleetcars and hire company vehicles. The next set never lasted anywhere near the same mileage. A cunning plan by the tyre makers You make your own guess on that one I know what I think.

[quote user="Thebiga"]One thing that I always thought was strange is that if you ever bought a new car the tyres it came with always lasted longer than any others you put on afterwards. [/quote]A very interesting point and reminds me of something I was told a long time ago that new tyres benefit from being laid flat in a cool and dark place for a few weeks before putting them to use, something to do with fully curing or hardening I think.

Never really put it to the test (never had a new car to compare with for one thing and unlikely to start that now) but it's not beyond reason I suppose and most new cars will indeed have sat somewhere for a while before hitting the road.

Archived