Complete France Forum

Would you buy one? Tato Nano passes European Safety tests

just john

No I wouldn't buy one, but not for the obvious reasons.

If you check out the first drive report it says:

"The British market version – the Nano Europa – will have a larger engine, a

retractable tailgate, power steering and other higher performance features.

It will cost nearer £4,500 and will be differently styled to meet mandatory

European safety standards."

Which begs the question, has it passed EU safety tests or not [8-)]

As a little dodgem for popping to the shops or an Airport/City hire car or Posties wagon, it seems cost effective when compared to Fiat Panda's, C1s (not)Smartcars and their ilk. [:)]

I'm sure we'll be seeing a Czero or similar as other manufacturers consider the way the wind's blowing, what better platform for a compressed air city runabout? [8-|]

Worryingly as Henry said ''small car, small profit'' which might not be so good for existing manufacturers trying to load their overheads on board such a model.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]

Radial tyres.

Most modern drivers would not buy or even be able to control a car that had a steering wheel the necessary size and/or needed 5 turns of the wheel lock to lock.

[/quote]Presumably/hopefully Indians will be able to [:'(]

'Modern drivers' is a euphemism for 'operator' IMHO? Cars have become so flabby, cosy, and convenient, that most people these days have very little notion of being part of what should be a two way communication.

Don't really understand your point about radial tyres though I'm afraid JR. With a point of contact about the size of a beermat and what, maybe 6/700kg fully laden, just how difficult could it be to turn the steering wheel !

Full spec and photos HERE

BTW I understand that the Indian version doesn't have a handbrake so major mods required (one of many) before it ever lands on European shores hence the price hike which pitches it against other offerings. I'm not knocking it at all and in it's own market place a stunning and laudable achievement which will bring (semi) civilised personal transport to the masses but as far as Europe goes strictly one for the geeks and eccentrics I think.

As far as the test goes Ern, my understanding is that it is on its way, having passed the two critical crash tests but the full Euro test will involve other tests, pedestrian safety (I should think they would demolish it!) etc. Before you dismiss it, isn't it just a scaled down 2CV, when will that return?[:D]. How many times have you been obliged to overtake those fibreglass lawnmower propelled conveyances driven around in France and have you seen the price of them . . .

[quote user="teapot"]

Hey Ernie clicked on your "here" the spec link and Avast blasted out virus warning, do you think they mean the car?

[/quote][:D] Definitely trying to tell you something.

No virus there, just the Nano homepage   http://www.mytatanano.co.in/index.html   AVAST having a fit perhaps ? [;-)]

teapot, had a look at the source code for that page and there is an embedded link to a Google advertising page page with Java script on it

http://pagead2.googlesyndication.com/pagead/show_ads.js
which I'm sure is completely innocent but maybe AVAST thinks otherwise [;-)]

I like the concept of such a cheap car. its a real pity its likely to be "bloated out" for the euro market and costs will be so much higher.

I have long bemoaned the over-weight, oversized, overly complicatd cars we drive nowadays, but what I like sadly seems to differ from normal demand.

Also, I cant help but think of the fun possibilities of buying a basic one of these, and retro-fitting it with a decently powerfull motorbike engine and box, as done on Z-cars conversions.

I have always wanted to do that with one of those wee sans-permis jobs. Not a cat in hells chance of getting it road legal here in France though :(

Archived