Complete France Forum

Vehicle hire in France, English driving licence

Just Chris

Does anyone know, from experience, whether it's possible to hire a van in France, the hirer being the holder of an English (paper) driving licence?

We are resident here - have been for three years, and "in the system". We are not against obtaining a French licence, should anyone suggest this, it's just the time element that's important in terms of the van hire.

Thanks

Chris

Just a word of warning to check out the deposit and excess arrangements if you choose to use a French hire firm rather than an international one.

When I was looking in to car hire over here last Summer, I seem to remember that the deposit was hefty (no credit cards I seem to remember) and the excess was around €700 against which you couldn't pay an insurance to cover. I went with Hertz - better the devil you know!

I accept entirely that my experience of the French firms may not be typical: just worth being sure about it though.

We've mainly had Avis and Hertz in France. Mostly fine, but a very filthy one once from Hertz which we turned down, and one from them which had a broken left signal; we turned back and returned that also - same attempt at picking up! We found Avis excellent when we had to cancel last year when OH had flu; an immediate email asking would we like a refund or to leave it until we wanted to hire again. We'll ceertainly use them again when we can, but the garage round the corner which also hires out cars has changed over to Europcar.

We've also hired a van, and it was checkd over minutely both before and after rental; definitely a fine tooth comb job! That again was our little local place; airports seem much more laid back both about faults on paintwork whenpicking up the car and also on drop off, in our experience.

The last two times we have hired from Hertz at Toulouse Airport we have collected the car at about 23:00. The paperwork has shown a couple of scratches and of course it is too dark to make a thorough check.

Next morning, in daylight, and the amount of damage!

Fun and games reporting this.

So I now avoid Hertz.

Paul

In circumstances where inspection is impossible I've always written on the agreement 'unseen due to darkness' or whatever. I would then examine it at the earliest opportunity and immediately inform the hire company of any damage discovered.

Not sure it my note would carry any weight if a situation arose but it

can't do any harm that's for sure, must say that I've never had a

problem though. Fortunately most of my rentals are corporate and on my companies insurance so it would not be my problem anyway [:)]

[quote user="Mr Coeur de Lion"]They normally accept a cheque for the excess deposit though.[/quote]That will of course be a French cheque, not English [;-)]

[quote user="Gardian"] Just a word of warning to check out the deposit and excess arrangements if you choose to use a French hire firm rather than an international one. When I was looking in to car hire over here last Summer, I seem to remember that the deposit was hefty (no credit cards I seem to remember) and the excess was around €700 against which you couldn't pay an insurance to cover.  [/quote]

Soooo right and this was under an AA breakdown arrangement, when my vehicle broke down, the AA arranged for the vehicle to be picked up and me to be deposited at a hire car Garage (Opel). We had full AA cover (through SAGA) and this included allowance for a top of the range people carrier. . .  but it did not include deposit or insurance waiver, when I was informed that it was about 1700[:-))] I contacted the AA who confirmed it was normal and there was no alternative. Worse when I tried to use my credit card (which the garage wanted, not a cheque) it was rejected, in fact all four were, a friend tried to use their credit card, this was also rejected. Garage was getting ready to close and not bothered about our plight, calls to AA just explained the situation without resolving anything; getting desparate now we both rang our credit card companies to be told that it was normal and part of credit fraud procedures 'but now that you've called it will be allowed if you try again!'' Eventually we drove away in the AA free hire car but after some very moist moments I can tell you. [:'(]

Archived