Complete France Forum

Motorway rules with a trailer

confused of chalus

We are planning to take our trailer to England at Christmas so will be towing it on motorways in France for the first time. I know in the UK we are not allowed in the overtaking (third) lane of the motorway - so does the same apply in France (where there's often only 2 lanes)? ; are there lower speed limits and will it cost us more on the toll roads?

(Not a horsebox type trailer, just a rather large remorque)

I am confident there will be someone out there who knows the answer! So thanks in advance.

Kathy

I have never wanted to venture into the third lane of an autoroute whilst towing so I dont know the defiitive answer but on a two lane autoroute the situation is the same as in the UK, you are free to use it to overtake, I assume that you dont sit impatiently in lane 1 in the UK on two lane stretches of motorway.

As fo the peage, if your trailer (or tow vehicle) is less than 2 metres high you will not pay a surcharge.

The normal speed limits apply, as for a car, unless there is a sign to the contrary. For example there is often a reduced speed limit (for towing vehicles) on the downhill stretches of motorway, often 90kph, (really annoying when you want to get your speed up to attack the upward slope!!

I humbly suggest that 130kph might be too fast for those small trailer tyres which are normally rated for upto about 100kph.

If the combined length of towing vehicle plus trailer is more than 7 metres you must use only the 2 inside lanes.

Signs which show a car+caravan also apply to car+trailer. In fact my copy of "code de la route" says that this sign applies to any trailer over 250kgs.

There are other regulations about mirrors, brakes, identification plates etc, which apply to French registered trailers.... but you asked about speed limits.

Sid

A minimum speed limit applies when using the left hand lane on an autoroute.

Art R413-19:  Aucun conducteur ne doit gêner la marche normale des autres véhicules en circulant sans raison valable à une vitesse anormalement réduite. En particulier sur autoroute, lorsque la circulation est fluide et que les conditions atmosphériques permettent une visibilité et une adhérence suffisantes, les conducteurs utilisant la voie la plus à gauche ne peuvent circuler à une vitesse inférieure à 80 km/h.

Folding/collapsible caravans create less wind resistance and hence use less fuel, and also can be stored in a standard height garage. I've never been attracted to them because of the restricted headroom, especially at the doorway, but they have their loyal fans.

Personally I'd go for the Eriba if I wanted something smaller but still very robust. As it is, we'll stick with our 21-year-old Lunar!

And I am one of the loyal fans!

I have an Esterel bought for peanuts in the UK, I like the fact that as long as the skylight is properly sealed there is absolutely zero chance of water ingress and damp when it is stored because effectively it has an upturned bucket covering the sides.

Also it doesnt attract so much attention when stored outside, if I had parked a proper caravan outside fronting a main road for a couple of years I would have expected some comments by now from the mairie.

Archived