Complete France Forum

Watch out for pesky pedstrians !

AnOther

http://www.connexionfrance.com/highway-code-changes-france-pedestrians-cyclists-priority-cars-red-lights-crossing-12270-view-article.html

I love the 'within 50m' bit, the first thing to do now then if you bowl

one over is measure if he/she was 49m or 51m away when he/she jumped

into the road.

Why did they feel it necessary to add that rider as it only serves

to muddy what otherwise is a fairly clear rule and how I wonder will it

be communicated to the population at large ?

Speaking as a pedestrian, I think they're going a bit OTT. Drivers in our town are very good about stopping at crossings, even before you've quite reached the kerb. But thinking of them all (including my OH!) having to be ready to stop at a moment's notice anywhere at all seems bonkers! Mind you, the pillar of the community who drove us for an outing last week barely noticed crossings, junctions, road signs or anything else - he was so busy chatting to the chap in the front passenger seat and gesticulating that we had to keep telling him what was ahead. However, he did get us there and back in one piece; I can't imagine what it would have been like with the new rules in place! [:)]

The change re light motos makes sense, but niggles me personally as it could mean I can't ride one now without taking lessons as my name isn't on the insurance for our little bike, it's in Sir's name. It could affect others in our old bike club too.

Great to see they have taken action on souped-up bikes, though!

As to pedestrians.... I have only taken a quick look at the texts but it does seem strange that pedestrians have right of way even on faster roads where the limit is perhaps 90 or110 kph. Has anyone checked whether this provision applies only in built-up areas?

As for allowing kids under 8 years old to ride their pushbikes slowly along pavements, I pity the elderly and the handicapped who get in their way.

I think even some of the French media have misreported this one, Cooperlola's link says it applies everywhere:  Les piétons deviennent prioritaire partout et non seulement sur les passages réservés

Whereas (wait a minute while I cut n paste the other one) Claires copy of la code de la route is quite specific :

Tout conducteur est tenu de céder le passage au piéton s’engageant régulièrement dans la traversée d’une chaussée ou manifestant clairement l’intention de le faire ou circulant dans une aire piétonne ou une zone de rencontre.

The key word is "chaussée" so it doesnt mean someone crossing any road anywhere he likes it means raised pedestrian crossings, raised pedestrian walkways or pedestrianised areas, (I cant remember the word in English for pietonée).

We have a road in our town that has raised pedestrian walkways which to date have been largely ignored by the car drivers and you take your life in your hands when crossing them, a bit like the pedestrian crossings really.

Actually a pedestrian crossing falls under the term chausée so now the law is clear, you now only have to be in the act of stepping one one for the cars to have to stop, it was this that they were showing on the lunchtime news, before you had to have your whole body on the crossing.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Thanks, Clair, as ever.  I would say though, that if I were having to use the google translation of the new rules re pedestrians I would be none the wiser![:D][/quote]

I know and I agree! [:D]

But I have been berated here before for providing info without bothering to translate it, so this is my gesture [Www]...

[quote user="Chancer"]

I just looked at the google translated link, what a larf [:D]

You know, I have a suspicion that the writers for the connexion dont speak French and use Google translations as their source material [Www]

[/quote]

A bit like "popcorn" on TF.[:)]

Where the problem is english.

[quote user="Polly"]As to pedestrians.... I have only taken a quick look at the texts but it does seem strange that pedestrians have right of way even on faster roads where the limit is perhaps 90 or110 kph. [/quote]

Not only strange, but unbelievably dangerous.  I hope that's not what it means. 

Perhaps the word régulièrement means something like "in accordance with the regulations" - i.e. on a marked pedestrian crossing.  The primary definition in Le Petit Larousse is "qui est conforme aux dispositions légales", which suggests that it might mean that.

If so, it would make sense - but I thought that was already the law!

Archived