Complete France Forum

New tax disc rules UK

AnOther

So the DVLA web site crashed because of 'unprecedented demands' and some people spent all day trying to get through to them on the phone.

What on earth did DVLA expect on a day when at least one in twelve of the cars in UK were due to have their tax renewed !

I hope whomever set up the system gets sacked, maybe it's been done by the same incompetents who have screwed up the 'other' forum !

All I can is it was working when I used it and I am now not the proud owner of a tax disc. It's the same online facility as I have been using for the last 3-4 years so why was there a rush, tabloid journalism? every new sensational headline.  ZZZZzzzzzz

The other forum, less said the better.

It was just a temporary glitch and once it's up and running someone will probably get a bonus for a successful project completed.  If only the UK were as advanced as France and scrapped the whole system, Dave could make it one of his many many pledges to give away everything to the nice people of the UK.

removing the disc is not the issue - the issue which was neatly side-stepped by a DVLA spokesman on the telly is that when a car is sold, the remaining tax is automatically refunded to the registered keeper and the new buyer has to re-tax the car in their own name. However since only whole months are refunded, the car will be taxed twice for the month it is sold in (old tax still valid and not refunded due to it not being a complete month, and new tax paid for my the new owner) so DVLA get double the money. The guy was directly asked about this by the interviewer but gave a typically bullshit reply that doesnt answer the question.

Oh, and since there is now nothing inside the car to easily identify it, expect car cloning crimes to increase....spot a similar coloured model like your own, get duplicate numberplates made up and drive unhindered without MOT, tax or insurance for as long as you like.....ANPR cameras will spot your plate and the database will show the car as being legal, so you will never be pulled over unless you do something silly. At least with a time-limited disc inside the windscreen with the reg number on it, this was slightly harder to pull off in the past.

I am truly finding all this confusing now and another botched thing....... that current governments are so fond of doing, making a right royal c oc kup!  Do they know their backsides from their elbows!

You are right, cloning will be so easy now. It wouldn't take a genius to have thought of that, but hey, why would the government have anyone with common sense looking at stuff!

Archived