Complete France Forum

Cost of Living for familes in France?

blackcat

Exactly right, S17....when I'm in France, my neighbour often pops round with half a dozen eggs which she gives me for nothing. Does this mean you're being ripped off at 4 euros for 2 dozen? I get the free French conversation too, so overall my deal's better than yours, and cheaper (especially bearing in mind that I'm no great fan of eggs)[;-)] But if we're comparing the cost of living, and that's what the OP asked, then it does go a lot further than eggs. Now, quality of life, that's a whole separate debate....[:D]

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thing are deffinatly going up, hee and in UK. But an example for France ; yesterday I shopped at Lidl, I bought a box of 16  mini icecream lollies which I buy on a regulat basis, they started out at 1.69 and went to 1.79 for many months. yesterday they were at 2.09 ! thats a 30 cent rise in a week.

• 5 months later...

Hi, Im new here also looking into moving. I have looked into cost of living and as far as I have worked out it varies quite alot depending on region. I have been told by someone that their average monthly costs including shopping for a family of four are around 700E per month, then having said that I have also been told 1500E and 2000E per month.

I'm personally finding it extremely difficult to work out an accurate amount for myself and my huge family of 7. I do have family living in St Ybard so we would be looking at that area and areas surrounding it upto around a 30 minute drive. They say its pretty cheap, but again there seems to be so many variables its almost impossible to get even an approx. figure without being there and doing it.

Work is also an issue for me, I have 13 years experience as a plumber but am still working out if its a sought after trade in the area,

[quote user="La Sizer"]

Hi, Im new here also looking into moving. I have looked into cost of living and as far as I have worked out it varies quite alot depending on region. I have been told by someone that their average monthly costs including shopping for a family of four are around 700E per month, then having said that I have also been told 1500E and 2000E per month.

I'm personally finding it extremely difficult to work out an accurate amount for myself and my huge family of 7. I do have family living in St Ybard so we would be looking at that area and areas surrounding it upto around a 30 minute drive. They say its pretty cheap, but again there seems to be so many variables its almost impossible to get even an approx. figure without being there and doing it.

Work is also an issue for me, I have 13 years experience as a plumber but am still working out if its a sought after trade in the area,

[/quote]

Whoever told you their total out-lay is 700€ for 4 must be living in a cave and eating berries and roadkill!The problem is when you ask people their living costs they usually do a guesstimate along the lines of" well-theres shopping, petrol for the car, maybe a meal out occasionally, bread, milk and  electricity --"and so on. The only real way to work out the costs is to use your bank statements for a year, which should include all standing orders ,all cheques written, all cash drawn, and so will include all the large occasional items like insurance, winter fuel, water, car maintenance,clothing, loan payments,and all the small everyday expenses that you pay in cash, then divide by 12 for a monthly figure(many people forget that there are more than 4 weeks in a month).  Calculating like this, we spend on average around 1800€ per month for 2  people. For a family of 7 you have got to look at around 2000€ a month for a reasonably comfortable life.This would be in a country area.

As for work as a plumber,although there certainly seems to be a shortage ,at least in our area, you would need a reasonable level of french, and I believe (others will correct me if I'm wrong) that plumbing is a "regulated" profession , and you can find details of the set-up requirements by googling,   plombier -APCE     .

[quote user="La Sizer"]

[/quote]

Whoever told you their total out-lay is 700€ for 4 must be living in a cave and eating berries and roadkill!The problem is when you ask people their living costs they usually do a guesstimate along the lines of" well-theres shopping, petrol for the car, maybe a meal out occasionally, bread, milk and  electricity --"and so on. The only real way to work out the costs is to use your bank statements for a year, which should include all standing orders ,all cheques written, all cash drawn, and so will include all the large occasional items like insurance, winter fuel, water, car maintenance,clothing, loan payments,and all the small everyday expenses that you pay in cash, then divide by 12 for a monthly figure(many people forget that there are more than 4 weeks in a month).  Calculating like this, we spend on average around 1800€ per month for 2  people. For a family of 7 you have got to look at around 2000€ a month for a reasonably comfortable life.This would be in a country area.

As for work as a plumber,although there certainly seems to be a shortage ,at least in our area, you would need a reasonable level of french, and I believe (others will correct me if I'm wrong) that plumbing is a "regulated" profession , and you can find details of the set-up requirements by googling,   plombier -APCE     .

Forgetting any Mortgage outlay if you work on the basis that the cost of living is the same in France as in UK you probably won't go too far wrong. If it works out cheaper consider it a bonus [:)]

I'm sure Parsnips is right too so plus you will have to re-train to the French standards so I wouldn't reckon on working, legitimately that is, for the first year or perhaps even longer.

We are a family of 2 and I have been keeping monthly accounts since we moved here 7 years ago.

I would say in an average month we spend about 1500€. This includes all food, heating, cars, insurances and a little bit of DIY. The lowest was 1100€.

It doesn't include major DIY, large items such as car repairs, trips to the UK, dental bills and specs etc.

So pro-rate that for your family of 7. As a rough guide, there won't be much difference between what you spend in the UK and what you would spend here. The main extra in France would be expenditure on health care.

ps re-read this thread, to get a fuller picture.

This is a breakdown I was given :

Habitation tax           300pa
Taxe Fonciere          300pa
Car Ins                   300pa
Water/Electric/Gaz    100pm
Broadband/Phone     40pm
Muttelle                   150pm
Shopping                 350pm
Sky TV                    ????

These are the main figures Im interested in, I know theres things like petrol, clothes etc.. but Im talking usual living.

This is based on St Ybard, not far from limoge.

Please feel free to edit, add, fiddle to make it realistic.

Shopping for 7  - €350 ?

How much roughly do you spend on 'shopping' in the UK ?

From the posts I have read there isn't a huge difference in food prices, you may drop a little for some products but pick it up on the another, neither is growing your own always the economy you might think.

[quote user="Russethouse"]

Shopping for 7  - €350 ?

How much roughly do you spend on 'shopping' in the UK ?

From the posts I have read there isn't a huge difference in food prices, you may drop a little for some products but pick it up on the another, neither is growing your own always the economy you might think.

[/quote]

At the moment around £250 per month tops. We eat well and healthily, TBH a few extra mouths doesnt make that much difference.

Haven't worked out the food shopping bills but the taxe d'habitation and taxe foncière for us are both over twice the amount mentioned.

Unlike what some might think, we don't in fact live in a chateau (sorry, joke from another thread), but in a much more manageable 3 bedroom converted barn 

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Haven't worked out the food shopping bills but the taxe d'habitation and taxe foncière for us are both over twice the amount mentioned.

Unlike what some might think, we don't in fact live in a chateau (sorry, joke from another thread), but in a much more manageable 3 bedroom converted barn 

[/quote]

I know it varies somewhat depending on the area, are you in the are I mentioned? (30mins drive south of limoge, st ybard)

[quote user="La Sizer"]

This is a breakdown I was given :                                                     Ours

Habitation tax           300pa                                             600pa ish incl TV licence  
Taxe Fonciere          300pa                                              650pa
Car Ins                   300pa                                              720pa for 2 cars
Water/Electric/Gaz    100pm                                             1500pa - don't have gaz 
Broadband/Phone     40pm                                                650pa
Muttelle                   150pm                                             840pa - I only have hospitalisation, OH has full cover
Shopping                 350pm                                             5000pa - there are only 2 of us
Sky TV                    ????                                                500pa - OH has canal+

850pa car servicing, not including exhausts, tyres etc

(ie 609 just paid for a replacement catalytic part for my car!!!)

1000pa = odd and ends of diy plus other small purchases for house

??? entertaining ie aperos/ food for neighbours/friends/

holidays???
These are the main figures Im interested in,                        

I know theres things like petrol, clothes etc..                       Sue

but Im talking usual living.

Please feel free to edit, add, fiddle to make it realistic.

[/quote]

Local Taxes (Foncière and Habitation) vary greatly from commune to commune.  Ours are 1400€ a year, our water/heating/electric a great deal more than 100€ a month (we have a B & B but I guess that is like having a family of 7[:)]).  We have lived here for 6 years and I reckon we average about 1500€ a month (without any bug expeses like holidays).  There are only 2 of us.  On average I think the cost of living here is about the same as in the UK.

[quote user="La Sizer"]

Broadband/Phone     40pm

These are the main figures Im interested in, I know theres things like petrol, clothes etc.. but Im talking usual living.

Please feel free to edit, add, fiddle to make it realistic. [/quote]I don't know who's given you those figures but for starters, regional variations or not, I think a house adequate for a family of 7 is going to cost you nearer 3x the sum quoted. Similarly I would double the Tax Fonciere and treble your fuel estimates and you'll be very lucky to insure what I'm presuming will be a sizeable car for €300, nearer €500 I'd guess.

This puts your total up from around 9000 to well over 12,000 and in all I think even a frugal couple in a small house with no kids would struggle on your estimates. To have any sort of decent lifestyle and be able to save a bit for emergencies and a rainy day I think you need to look at an net income of at least €20,000.

Frankly I doubt many French plumbers earn anything like that nor have 7 hungry mouths to feed.

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="La Sizer"]

Broadband/Phone     40pm

Please feel free to edit, add, fiddle to make it realistic. [/quote]I don't know who's given you those figures but for starters, regional variations or not, I think a house adequate for a family of 7 is going to cost you nearer 3x the sum quoted. Similarly I would double the Tax Fonciere and treble your fuel estimates and you'll be very lucky to insure what I'm presuming will be a sizeable car for €300, nearer €500 I'd guess.

This puts your total up from around 9000 to well over 12,000 and in all I think even a frugal couple in a small house with no kids would struggle on your estimates. To have any sort of decent lifestyle and be able to save a bit for emergencies and a rainy day I think you need to look at an net income of at least €20,000.

Frankly I doubt many French plumbers earn anything like that nor have 7 hungry mouths to feed.

[/quote]

Habitation tax           900pa
Taxe Fonciere          600pa
Car Ins                   500pa
Water/Electric/Gaz    300pm
Broadband/Phone     40pm

Total PM                    1006E
Less family allowance    582E
Min Wage                     424E PM

So I would need to earn a minimum of 424E per month, which I can do as I sell stickers/shop signs at the moment (part time from home) and earn around 327E per month which I would continue doing. So assuming I could get a job for 800E per month?? I should be ok.....

There are 7 of us in our family and we spend approx 350/400 a week on food but thats counting the animals in (approx 30€ a week)  our fuel bills are also high 200 per month electric and 100 per month water, thats just family, b and b are calculated extra, the rest of the bills are about the same as above

I would check how your part time income will be treated by the French authorities before you count on it.

I'm stil in awe as to how you fed your family on £1.20 a day per person - what's the secret ?

[/quote]

Sensible buying I guess, the last time I went shoppin was 2 weeks ago just over and I spent £120, and I need to go again now. Like I said, people seem to think it costs more to feed more but in fairness it doesnt cost that much more than a 4 person family, its only a little more veg, potatoes, beans etc...

You need to check very carefully if your child benefit will continue in France, my understanding is that it will not. This from the HMRC web site:

If you're going abroad permanently, or expect to be away for more than

52 weeks, you won't qualify for Child Benefit unless both of the following

apply:

• you are moving to an EEA country or Switzerland
  • you are paying UK NICs or receiving a UK National Insurance-related

benefit
Also you should note that you cannot legitimately sell your signs or whatever without being registered as a business. France is not like the UK where you can just wake up one morning and decide to start a business selling sell say CD's or car parts or WHY from your spare bedroom [blink]

I would check how your part time income will be treated by the French authorities before you count on it.

I'm stil in awe as to how you fed your family on £1.20 a day per person - what's the secret ?

[/quote]

Well funny you should mention that but its all registered in my mums name and will remain that way, she will kindly send some money over every month to help out...

Archived