Jump to content
Complete France Forum


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited


parsnips's Achievements


Newbie (1/14)



  1. Hi,    Maybe my post wasn't clear. Sue is correct in what she says . What I was pointing out was that , from experience , I have found that when I declared 2019* investment income myself on form 2042 it was correctly  subjected to only the 'legal' 7.5% (which , incidently , is still being disputed at Brussels).  However , where the CSG is taken at source , ie. taxable bank interest, and most glaringly AV euro funds, despite my writing demanding exemption from CSG and CRDS , the full 17.2% was taken in some cases.   I have just submitted a claim for around 500€ CSG and CRDS taken in error.    In the case of some AV companies the annual prélèvement of social charges on uncashed gains in euro accounts is tucked away in very small print on the end of year statements. As these deductions do not appear anywhere on the Avis , I worry that some people may have been missing them since they became refundable in 2011. (*income from property was subject to the 7.5% from 2018-but I have none. Social charges on non-real estate related income is fully refundable for 2018 income, so I would advise those affected, who haven't claimed, to do so before 31/12/2020)
  2. Hi,    Last week ,after asking two weeks ago for a progress report on my claim for CSG overpaid in 2015   , I received a letter from the agent who dealt with it (and who wrote to me last January saying it was set to be paid) saying that they would "contact" the paying agency, and clearly  gave them a kick up the backside , because I have now had paid to my account the 5 figure overpayment together with a 4 figure sum of interest.   I now await developments on my claims for 2016,2017,2018, and my recent claim for reduction of charges  from 17.2% to 7.5% for 2019 (don't forget to check for this -especially if you have AV euro funds which deduct contributions from uncashed gains annually at source and sometimes show them in very small print. )     The mills of the fisc obviously grind a little slower than those of God!      Good luck all,     P.
  3. [quote user="Gardian"]Just in case there are some who aren’t aware of the benefit ....... As a general rule, you get two thirds of any charitable donation back - straight off the bottom line. Thus, just €10 / mth will cost you just €40 for the year. There is a ‘top stop’ of around €500 / p.a. , but cheap for you and good for your chosen charity.[/quote] Certain charities (for" personnes en difficulté" - and at present Notre Dame) are reimbursed at 75% -these normally have a limit of 552€ (2020)-Notre Dame 1000€); the Red Cross and Action Contre la faim are two among others in the 75% category , but charity request forms always show the rate somewhere.  Be wary that your charity gives 75% on income tax , as others only give 75% against the IFS.The dons to other "organismes d'interet general" and reimbursed at 66% are only limited to 20% of the donor's "revenu net imposable". 
  4. [quote user="Un autre Gallois"][quote user="mint"]Oh yes, please, Gallois, do let us know!  I claimed for 2015 at the time but that was refused.  Would be a nice Christmas present if they'd stop pussyfooting around and just give us our money back[:D] [/quote] Update! Letter received 20/03 AR allowing, in part, claim for income received in 2016 & 2017 together with interest - have yet to see the colour of the money. The original claim for three years included 2015 (within time limit), but that year was rejected by the local office and not passed to the DDFIP "controle expertise"; hence a decision from above has only been given for two of the years. The local office has confirmed today that their original decision given on 11/10/2018 is still valid. I am contemplating taking the matter to the conciliator fiscal - the amount is not earth shattering, but nevertheless worth pursuing, but if there's no more than 50% prospect of winning why start the fight! I recall reading that others on the forum have succeeded in claims for 2015. UaG[/quote] Hi,As I posted here , after submitting a claim for 2015 CSG in 2016 , which was immediately passed by the local office to DGFP ""affaires juridiques" , and after a lot of correspondence over the last 3 years (mostly, I confess, due to some serious errors I made in my declaration for 2015!- problems with online declaring), a very helpful ,and ,I have to say , patient, lady inspectrice ,wrote in January fully conceding  my demand for a 5 figure refund - ( I'm not that rich , but I sold a lot of shares in 2015) .   I have not yet received the money - but here's hoping!    Keep at it!   
  5. Hi,I can't see an answer to this question anywhere  among the pipe posts. Here is what I have read in various sources;   To opt for UK succession law you should see a notaire and have a french will drawn (best to ask for a draft "holograph will" -in english if you prefer - which you can then write in your own handwriting ,and register with the notaire).  You should start the will with the words "In accordance with EU succession regulation 650/2012 (BrusselsIV) I opt for English Law*for the whole of my worldwide assets."   *or Scottish or whichever other country may be appropriate. You then go on to list your wishes for the disposal of your assets after your death. It is vital to remember that making an English Law Will does NOT AFFECT THE OPERATION OF FRENCH SUCCESSION TAX RATES AND ALLOWANCES .  This means ,that if ,for example ,you cut out your blood relations , and leave all your assets to a friend or to your mistress, they will have a 60% tax bill on all they receive , if you die french resident.  Your children , in this example, could bring an action in the french courts, but there is no guarantee that they would win.   Before doing anything else , find a competent notaire and discuss with him/her.
  6. Hi, To be honest I have found this subject very confusing -mainly due to the way they talk about 2019 impots when it is on 2018 revenues. I attach a link which gives full details of the prelevements taken from french investments by the holding banks in 2018 and 2019;   https://www.bforbank.com/mag/impots/2019-taux-prelecvement-sociaux-revenus-epargne.html    You have to interpret how they apply to UK nationals with S1 and foreign based investments.The advice I have seen is to keep claiming ; I have written " je demande remboursement des categories des contributions sociales prises en erreur en 20..," and you can carry on like that - you can be sure that most tax offices will take the full amount , at least for the first few years .     I have yet to see confirmation that the system of 7.5% only for S1 holders will still apply to UK nationals after Brexit .    The description of the concession at present reads that it applies to citizens of the "EU, the EEC, or Switzerland".    This is in contrast to the 40% abattement on IR on foreign investments which applies to countries of the" EU , EEC , Switzerland , or countries (like the UK) which have a tax convention 'anti-fraud ' ". See this link; http://leparticulier.lefigaro.fr/article/les-non-affilies-a-la-securite-sociale-doivent-produire-une-attestation-pour-etre-dispenses-de-csg-et-de-crds/  I have written once to Blevins Franks for an opinion , but got no reply ,and I will resend on this. Hope this is slightly clearer than mud! Regards.         
  7. Hi Fittersmate,good to be here, According to what I have read the 7.5 % was  being applied only to rental income in 2018 - investment income was being charged as normal .  Only for  2019 income  would the 7.5% be applied to all investment income .  So either your income is rental , or a mistake was made .   In any case , as there is ongoing dispute over the 7.5% , it is worth continuing to put in claims pending further developments. 
  8. Hi,Long time no post! (because nothing to report).  Now can report letter received (dated 31/01/2020) conceding full refund of 2015 contributions. Still to be repaid.  Demands for 2016,2017, and now 2018, have been submitted and acknowledged. Things seem to be moving at last.
  9. [quote user="woolybanana"]Thank you everyone. CT, it is UK and France.[/quote] Hi,    According to the  estates tax double tax treaty of 1963 (see link), no tax is due on a french resident receiving an inheritance from someone who has died UK resident;  so there is no requirement to declare it anywhere in France. http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1963/1319/schedules/made
  10. [quote user="Zelanda"]Hi all, We are in the stressfull proccess of selling our former home in Uk, as we are living in France. I've been reading the French impots gov web and the rules for calculate tax gain are so complicated that I'm getting mad! So I have some cuestions that maybe some of you can clarify. - How I calculate the gain in € ? Should I take the Pound value at the day we bougth the house (less expenses) Vs the pound value at the day we sell (less expenses)? Because if, the gain in € would be a lot less than in pounds. - Can I deduct the 7.5% in buying charges and expenses as standard, even if the fees and taxes I paid in Uk were less than that, or Should I count the amound I really paid in pounds? -Can I deduct too the 15% as standard in improvements, because I owned the property for more than 5 years? even if I didn't expend that amoung? - Can I have the exception if with the gains I buy a house here in France for living? It would be very very grateful if anyone could answer those cuestions, because I have no idea how much coulld we pay in French taxes. Regards,[/quote] Hi,   You certainly should use the € value (on the day of purchase) for the purchase price ; and the € value (on the day of sale) for your calculation .    You should also claim the 15% and 7.5% (€ on day of purchase )- which you add to the purchase price  thus reducing the ultimate  gain.  As for the exception for purchase of a pricipal residence in France , I don't know - you may need to ask the tax office to get  reliable  advice.
  11. [quote user="bkm7"]I can't remember exactly what happened with last years form but when I decided not to complete 2044 then BL on 2042 disappeared. The net result was that I obtained a credit d'impot on impot but was charged CSG and then had to claim a dégrévement. Was thinking for 2020 that I would complete 2044. Grateful for any advice. B[/quote] Hi, I have given my advice .   Judging by some friends' experiences , however you declare at present, some tax offices are  wrongly charging CSG at 17.2% ,or at the new rate for S 1 holders of 7.5% "prélèvement de solidarité" --- both of which are wrong as UK rents are exempted from all french taxes and social charges  (or similar) by the Convention of 2008.        If this happens to you , and your demand for dégrévement is refused  (as has happened to a friend of mine) you may have to go through the various appeal procedures .         
  12. [quote user="Mac"]Although I can't help you on filling the form in-I'm curious as to why you need to. I rent out our former home in the UK . It's declared in the UK and the figures reported on the two tax forms here. I've never filled in the one you mention. I needed to go to the tax office to check something this year and took my forms with me. The lady going through them could sed that I declared UK income from rental income but she never said I should have filled in another form.[/quote] Hi,I agree with this: declare only on   form 2047 as income qualifying for exeption by credit (sec 6), and at 4 BE and 4'BK, and 8TK on form 2042 , added to any other exempt income .
  13. Hi, I'm still here! The answer I gave before was for a police pensioner.  All "fonctionnaires" (police, fire,teachers etc) are covered , and separately non-government employees who get an injury pension via the social services;  any injury pension need not be declared .         ( references; BOI-RSA-PENS-20-10 et 20-20).If the disability is rated 40% or above you can claim an extra 0.5 point on the income tax allowance -see the form 2042 page 2 box  P and notes. (you would in that case have to send official "justificatifs".) Hope this helps.
  14. [quote user="Hereford"]When my mother died we were charged around 7 euros (which the Notaire's staff member had spent to check a list of registered Wills). Other than that as my parents had a C.U. there was nothing to do so charge was zero.  I have to say we were dumbfounded but very pleased.   For complicated reasons there was no house involved but I can imagine that if a name has to be changed on Deeds it could be different.The friend without the CU could well be different too.We did have to keep reminding the Notaire about the CU which he seemed not all that familiar with! The member of staff clearly never "got it". You may have found that the Bank debited a charge - my father was furious as they had nothing to do. It seemed to be for sending a booklet (not wanted or needed) and saying that they could free up money to pay for a funeral - not needed either as my father was able to access what had been the joint account.I wish you well, sorting out the details seem to go on forever after a death.[/quote] Hi,  When only the transfer of property is involved the bulk of the "fees" are in fact various government taxes and charges .The notaire gets only a relatively small part of them. 
  15. Hi ,     It is worth noting that even when french resident, a UK police pension remains taxable only in the UK, although it has to be declared in France along with french taxable income  like UK bank interest and french gite rents.  .  The french tax calculated on the whole amount will be reduced by a credit equal to the extra tax calculated on the police pension.   This should result in a low french tax bill.
  • Create New...