Complete France Forum

washing machine

Gyn_Paul

Yes, I know this doesn't sit comfortably in this part of the forum, but I can't think where else to put it.

Quite a simple question; our washing machine is about to give up the ghost (only 17 years service out of it : disgraceful!) and will soon need to be replaced. I am loathe to buy one in the UK and ship it over here because of the problems of servicing and part sourcing. So has anyone discovered a marque/model of washing machine here in France which has a hot AND cold fill ? Don't care particularly if it is a top or front loader.

paul

Paul,

Could I ask a basic question, in the 17 years service of your dying machine, how many times have you had it serviced and how many parts have you needed to source. If the answer is ''not a lot'' then why worry now, the next m/c may also last 17 yrs, UK bought or French.

Most modern machines are built for the international market and the only issue is the 1 or 2 year warranty period. Personally I have never (yet) had a domestic appliance fail inside its warranty period.

People talk about 'servicing problems' what servicing is required on a washing machine that you cant do yourself, filter clean???---cant think of anything else.

My Laden top loader is both hot and cold fill (although I only cold fill it as the water tends to be always too hot for the hoses - several degrees above the recomended - so It was advised against by my French plumber friend).  Excellent thing.  Spin is much better on the top loader and I find I can get more stuff in it.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Paul,

Could I ask a basic question, in the 17 years service of your dying machine, how many times have you had it serviced and how many parts have you needed to source. If the answer is ''not a lot'' then why worry now, the next m/c may also last 17 yrs, UK bought or French.

Most modern machines are built for the international market and the only issue is the 1 or 2 year warranty period. Personally I have never (yet) had a domestic appliance fail inside its warranty period.

People talk about 'servicing problems' what servicing is required on a washing machine that you cant do yourself, filter clean???---cant think of anything else.

[/quote]

You know you're right ? I've never had it serviced, I was really thinking of anything which went wrong during the warranty period (I take your point, certainly with things like freezers and fridges, they either work 'out of the box' or they don't, and if they do then - as long as you don't drop large jars of mayonaise on the styrene shelves - they will freeze until the end of time, but washers I have less confidence in).

As for how many parts... well, over the course of the 17 years it's had (according to the FSH I've written on the back over the years) a new pump, a new seal on one of the hoses, new carbon brushes for the motor, a new door seal, and 3 belts. - it's had a heard life !

paul

Paul,

I think you see my point, all those parts were probably in last (say) 7 years of its life. No warranty issues, no servicing. May I suggest that you check prices on the net in France and UK and buy one from whoever is cheapest, if that means Currys or Dixons then so be it. As long as its an international brand ( you probably wont find any that aren't) then, when / if spare parts need to be fitted in the future you should have no problem, either yourself or finding a French tech who will fix it. This is only my opinion of course.

On a personal note, our Ariston is cold fill only, same model is sold in uk as is here in UAE, probably in France, Italy, Germany etc.as well - badge engineering at its international best.Whats more we got it from a branch of Carrefour, so theres a start point.

[quote user="powerdesal"]Paul,

I think you see my point, all those parts were probably in last (say) 7 years of its life. No warranty issues, no servicing. May I suggest that you check prices on the net in France and UK and buy one from whoever is cheapest, if that means Currys or Dixons then so be it. As long as its an international brand ( you probably wont find any that aren't) then, when / if spare parts need to be fitted in the future you should have no problem, either yourself or finding a French tech who will fix it. This is only my opinion of course.

On a personal note, our Ariston is cold fill only, same model is sold in uk as is here in UAE, probably in France, Italy, Germany etc.as well - badge engineering at its international best.Whats more we got it from a branch of Carrefour, so theres a start point.

[/quote]

Which bring us back to the original point...  All the machines here in France, the backs of which I have been able to peer at, are cold fill only. Anyone seen a hot & cold fill ?

paul

Happy to answer the question that you did ask!

I looked for a long time and could not find a hot and cold fill machine, I am advised that they are also now becoming rare in the UK, probably due to standardisation in the chinese factories.

Most French families use a timer (or dedicated meter feed) to operate the machine at night using the heures creuse, which is much cheaper but possibly not less than if you have gas or oil fired hot water.

Not much sue to you if you have lots of washing to do for a gite etc.

[quote user="Gyn_Paul"][quote user="powerdesal"]Paul,
[/quote]

Which bring us back to the original point...  All the machines here in France, the backs of which I have been able to peer at, are cold fill only. Anyone seen a hot & cold fill ?

paul
[/quote]Paul, I think you will see from my post above (not the one about the herd of washing machines - sorry just couldn't resist) that in fairness, I did answer the question!  My Laden machine has hot and cold fill although I don't use the hot fill myself for the reason stated above.

Thanks JR,

I intend to feed the dish washer and the washing machine with the solar heated well water (since the most expensive part of using each is heating up the water) but don't relish plumbing continuous hot into a cold fill washing machine even if it (the hot water) is - to all intents and purposes - free. It offends my Northern sensibilities !

paul

[quote user="cooperlola"]My Laden top loader is both hot and cold fill (although I only cold fill it as the water tends to be always too hot for the hoses - several degrees above the recomended - so It was advised against by my French plumber friend).  Excellent thing.  Spin is much better on the top loader and I find I can get more stuff in it.[/quote]

Sorry Cooperlola, I missed your post on the last trawl down the page. Next time you have occasion to move the machine, could I trouble you to tell me the model number please ? - I've been on the Laden website but there is no information about H or C fill for any of the top loaders.

Thanks

paul

Archived