Complete France Forum

Responsibility for Disjoncteur

Alan Zoff

The test button on my disjoncteur box (the first box leading to the consumer unit - the one with the main on/off switch and its top half sealed by EDF) does not work. For good measure, I have fitted an additional earth lead to the consumer unit (the original was the skinniest earth wire I have seen and seems simply to have been pushed into the ground - I have now buried a decent earthing rod and connected it up with 10 mil earth cable) but pressing the test button still does nothing.

Does this fall within my responsibility to put right if the box is faulty or does the box belong to EDF?

The box is 30A. Will EDF charge me to upgrade it - say to 80 or 100A? It copes with the loads at present but I suspect that higher loads will be added in future.

The main switch and cut-out is the property of EDF and if faulty, they will change it, at their cost.

As it was explained to me, this cut-out protects EDF's supply against any problems created by the user's appliances and its main function is to isolate the supply if the current load allowed is exceeded.

If you want your supply upgraded, then you pay a higher abonnement. (Standing charge).

They would have to change the cut-out to allow for the higher rating, of course.

I had my meter (and cut-out and isolating switch) changed three years ago, to the computer meter for Heures Creuse/Heures Pleine:  and a far higher supply current. The abonnement obviously went up - considerably - and EDF did charge me for the changes, but it was very little.

Archived