Complete France Forum

Opinion of night storage heaters

tizzylizzy

Hi.  Has anyone come across night storage heaters in France?   Our memories of these are huge things filled with bricks taking up half a wall and really expensive to run.  Apparently  they are now vastly improved with all the latest technology and quite cheap to run using off peak electricity.  We would only want background heat off these as we have woodburners.  If anyone has come across them, are they efficient, where can you buy them here and what is the French name for them?  Thanks.

le radiateur electrique a accumulation

Yes, they exist here; yes they are slimmer than they used to be.  We installed a couple in the UK as our central heating was solid fuel and a pain in the spring and autumn, when it was hard to keep the house at a pleasant average temperature.  Having spent 25 years in the house without them - we found them a godsend and wondered why we hadn't put them in years before! Hard to say how much they cost to run - how long's a piece of string? - but they were the ideal compromise for us in similar circumstances.

Ask any electrician/heating engineer, and they can source them for you.  You may also be able to get them in Bricos but I don't know.  Others no doubt will though.

I bought mine very cheaply in the UK from BDC, wired and fitted them prior to a Consuel inspection.

They worked very well and were surprisingly even  more economical than I had hoped for this winter, they are very controllable compared to the ones I had many years ago.

They lack the forced air fan that the French ones have (which saved me wiring and control equipment) but were a fraction of the cost of those available here. They are also very small now.

I would say go for it with confidence but never underspecify, ca veut dire always fit the one for the room volume or the next bigger one to avoid running out of charge in the evening during a sudden cold period.

Archived