Complete France Forum

Wooden Floor

Jo

Could I have some advice please? I currently have a wooden floor in the sitting room that has got some damage, I have just removed the lino and concrete screed. I would like to retain the floor and repair the damage, some boards and about 6 joists that are worm damaged or rotten through damp. The Farmer who used to own the house said it is an on-going problem, and his dad who owned it before him also used to have to regularly replace sections. There was a problem with damp along one wall, but this seems to have been sorted when we renewed the roof. He is suggesting that I fill the gap between the floor and the ground, about 18" to 2ft, with rubble then a layer of screed and a new wood floor. Apparently I can't use the old boards as those that looked alright are worm damaged underneath. The room is roughly 22ft by 21ft. Has any one got a rough idea of how much that is likely to cost? As I have no idea whether it would be 1000 or 10,000 euros! Any help would be much appreciated!

Whilst I can't help with cost  info It does sound as if you have an ideal opportunity to  lay a  dpc, concrete raft with insulation and then underfloor  heating. Possibly with tiles on top or, if you really prefer, new wooden floor. Make the most of the insulation opportunity.

We chose to take up the old wooden floor, dig out about 2 feet deep, (concrete and earth). and then dug 3 trenches, 1 at each side and 1 in the middle. Laid reinforced concrete footings, and then a damp proof  course, then buiult a small dwarf wall, with air gaps. On the dwarf walls we used 300mm x 50mm joists across the span, and then insulated in between before laying Hydrofuge T&G flooring. We also installed, a 90m3/hr fan to bring air (from vents in external wall) to increase air movement under floor to keep any damp at bay. The damp air is vented out a eaves level. This works an absolute treat, and we have a lovely dry warm longere as a result. If you do the work yourself, it isn't that expensive, (just time consuming) just the cost of concrete, beams, flooring and insulation.(and a fan).

Well, a friend has made some enquiries, to just repair the  boards and joists that are visibly affected with treated joists and boards will be 1,000 - 2,000 euros, to remove the floor and joists and replace with new treated wood will be roughly 4,000 - 6,000 euros and to fill with rubble screed and fit new wooden floor 10,000 euros +.[:(] Not what I was hoping to hear!

I've recently had to cost a similar job for complete replacement on about a 50sqm floor same as yours,
using blocks for 3 dwarf walls, new treated joists, 22mm tongue & grooved chipboard flooring for a base, and pine parquet flooring overlaid, all the materials came to 1400 and (hardwood parquet was about another €1400), this didn't include labour which had been quoted at about a week €1200. (micro enterpise)
Total €2600, so I suggest you should get some other devi's. [8-|]

I'm guessing labour is about the same, the parquet is 2m boards, not the little stuff as UK, but thinner and cheaper than floorboards, which is why there is a modern chipboard floor underneath (who's gonna see it[:)]) to give full strength (cut out draughts, and protect the underside) I think the hardwood quote was for Oak parquet or dark wood alternative which would have made the quote about €4000. Proper Oak floorboards are really expensive, it depends if you want to do the job on a budget. Try looking in Brico depot for a sqM cost comparison and you can choose your own floor. I think it was Brico where micro enterprise artisan advertise on a board and maybe you could get some alternative quotes there? [8-|]

There already is an unused sub floor void?..I would consider lining walls to sub floor with studded membrane fill void with rubble (well compacted in 100 to 150 layers) topped with 100mm scalpings (well compacted) and blinded with 20mm soft sand lay 1200 guage dpm followed by 50 mm insulation (Kingspan / Jablite or similar) topped with a 75mm reinforced slab.

Archived