Complete France Forum

Radiator Efficiency

thunderhorse

Two radiators - one a modern conventional electric panel type, the other oil-filled. Both are rated at 2Kw. The former heats up rapidly and cools just as rapidly, whereas the oil-filled takes longer to warm up, but radiates heat after switching off.

Whilst it would appear that running costs ought to be the same, does one have any advantage over the other in terms of efficiency?

I'm thinking of binning the ancient oil central heating...

Electric radiators are, are near as makes no dfference, 100% efficient, regardless of type. It is more a matter of the type of heat they produce and what you do with it. An inertia radiator (like the oil-filled ones) runs much cooler than a radiant version. This produces more "warmth" for your joule, and does not boil the water out of the air, making the air much more "comfortable" (you should aim for 75% humidity in a living room). The thermostats in cheaper (radiant) heaters tend to "see-saw" rather, heating up uneccesarily, and using more electricity. etc etc

Essentially, the more you pay for a radiator (aesthetics apart), the less they will cost to run - overall.

If your oil CH works, then you will not recover the cost of fitting a comparable electric system for a long time. If it doesn't (work), then get a quote to fix it first.....

[quote user="Nick Trollope"]... If your oil CH works, then you will not recover the cost of fitting a comparable electric system for a long time. If it doesn't (work), then get a quote to fix it first.....[/quote]

Many thanks for the advice, peeps.

The CH was installed in 1974 - a rather large De Dietrich outfit, welded metal pipes throughout and beautiful cast-iron radiators (exceptionally heavy.) Despite numerous enquiries - including Salmson (circulating water pump) and De Dietrich - I can't source a replacement water pump. Modern pumps are shorter in the shaft, and the De Dietrich has a peculiar double crossover housing for the pump requiring a longer shaft.

In order to convert the grenier, all the steel pipe has had to come out anyway, and all the rads lifted off to remove asbestos cladding and attend to the stone walls. The cost and effort of labour and materials of re-plumbing it all and still having an ancient boiler which may not last, led me to consider alternative systems and running costs. And that's apart from the ever-increasing cost of oil and potential supply problems.

I estimated that over 10 years I could save €10000 over a new oil boiler, by installing electric/oil rads, all running 8hrs/day for 100 days, plus the benefit of selling on my oil supply and cast-iron rads.

That's my thinking at the moment...

Steel rads are at least as efficient as modern pressed spot welded rads.

Furthermore, they can be taken apart, de-cagged, pressure cleaned and re-assembled with new gaskets. And are valuable, too!

Mild Steel Pipe?

Can be cleaned.

Unless you install storage rads, running off cheap (night) rate electricity, then the cost per Kw delivered to room will be enormous with electricity.

Nothing to prevent an hybrid pipework system: retain the downstairs and fit copper or Pex in the loft.

The pump: a circluating pump is a pump is a pump.

Fit a basic in-line pump (Grundfos e.g.) anywhere in the return circuit.

Replacement boiler: either replace the burner module or a cheap CH only job from such as Brico-Depot.

Nick knows well the capital cost of a complete upgraded wiring job plus halfway decent electric rads: he ought to! He's a certified licensed and bonded electrician working in France!

As well as a very well qualified Electronic Engineer, from his previous life! And modest; at time, perhaps, too modest..........

Of course, you could consider a Gasifying wood boiler and Thermal Store, which supplies your wet CH system, plus Solar for DHW.

Best and cheapest way to go, re running costs.

Big Up-Front capital costs, though.

Nothing in life is easy.................

Sigh................

[blink]

If boiler heat exchanger is ok you may well be able simply to install a new burner (Some sheds sell Lamborghini ones if memory serves)  New controls package and make up unit and replumb pretty rads using copper or screwed steel if your really pedantic. DHW Cylinder you could go for a dual coil indirect solar mains pressure jobbie. All really depends on what condition the rest of the kit is in.

Archived