Complete France Forum

Special tool for removing shower tray waste outlet ?

joidevie

Hi everyone..

I'm grappling with wanting to replace the chrome outlet in an oldish shower tray.  It's quite rough & tired. Problem, 'underneath' (seen from under the lower floor ceiling) it's quite hatd to get access to the nut to try to undo the piece (joists etc) however upstairs within the waste outlet there seem to be 4 small 'lugs' within the drain plug. Do these mean ther is a 'tool' available to spanner open the waste from 'above'?

I can see the retaining nut from 'below', but it' impossible to 'reach', so I'm a bit confused about how to get this thing out!

Many thanks..

If it's only the top of the trap you want to replace then you may be able to carefully unscrew the top hoping that the waste pipe below will hold the trap in position. I made a tool to remove these out of the backing plate off an old motorbike brake pad but if you are replacing then an an old wood chisel and careful tapping (Anti clockwise usually) may just work. If it does I would suggest you make sure you use a decent silicone sealant inside the trap at the mating face with the tray before fitting the new piece. I also bed the top of the trap in silicone under the flange so that once tightened a small amount will be squeezed from under the edge into the tray. I wipe the excess of with a finger and then clean up using some tissue (Bog roll) making sure no silicone residue lef behind.

Archived