Complete France Forum

Can I use a salt-based water softener with a fosse septique?

We're moving to a property shortly that has a fosse septique and have a query about this.  I'm sure the water will be lovely where we are going to but, in England, we've currently got a salt-based water softener fitted into the plumbing which has given us lovely soft water for washing and bathing - you really know the difference!

So what would happen if we took this water softener and installed it into our French house - would the salt-treated water damage the fosse septique and upset the chemical balance or wouldn't it make much of a difference? 

I really have no idea if this is workable - does anyone know please?

Many thanks.

We have have a salt based water softener and a fosse septique for the last 3 months, and they seem to work together just fine.  I've absolutely no idea about the chemistry involved, but it all seems to tick along quite nicely.

Ours takes lots of little nodules of salt, a bit smaller than ping-pong balls.  Sorry I've no idea where to get them as we're still on the first lot that arrived with the softening unit.  I'll be on the hunt for some more myself soon.

RobRoy, thanks for that.  We'll be just outside Monclar and Villeneuve sur Lot ... what is the water like there?  I'm rather spoilt with our water softener in England, you just get used to washing with beautifully soft water and it makes a real difference to how your skin and hair feel afterwards.

However, I guess anything will be an improvement over our current hard scummy London water !!!

Unfortunately I think that you will find that most of France has far harder water than London.

One of the water test kits available has a website where you can see which regions are affected, from memory it was the majority but to what extent they dont say, presumably to sell you the testing strips.

There is so much calcaire in my water that I have to remove and decalcify the filters on all my taps at least once a month, the shower head has rubber nozzles which you can rub to dislodge the calc, it generally is OK when in regular use but if left unused during a period away from the home most of the nozzles will be blocked where water has remained.

Archived