Complete France Forum

staircase terminology

Chancer

I cant quite get what "ligne de foulée" means in the context of  the norme requiring "ligne de foulée à 45cm de la main courante"

Stride line? but doesnt quite make sense in this context : "Largeur escalier minimum pour ligne de foulée à 45 cm de la main courante : 70 cm"

Can anyone help please?

Editted.

I have now found this  explanation "Ligne fictive sur laquelle on marche pour utiliser l'escalier. Elle est divisée en parties égales. Chaque division correspond à un giron."

So I think that it is the pitch line or imaginary line that passes through the nosings but I still cannot understand why it has has to be 45cm from a handrail that would normally be at 90cm height or how it equates to a minimum stair width.

I have to say the French regs (the sum of two risers and one going measured in cms must be between 58 and 62cm) are a bit weird, my proposed design has the risers at the top limit, the going mid way between the limits but I have to reduce the going making it steeper to fall under 62, this is crackers as it makes it less safe.

Archived