Complete France Forum

Chauffage central electrique a briques refractaires

Judith

Has anyone any thoughts on these - would they be the equivalent of night storage heaters, or are they just storage heaters.  Looked at a few sites, but not much wiser.  Thinking of using the cheaper night electricity for general background heating, and cannot work out whether they would do the trick or not.

Yes they are just storage heaters, if you only run them during les heures creuses, voila! they become night storage heaters.

Saying on the subject does anyone know of a cheap european supplier of storage heaters, I have 7 flats to fit out, the first where I now live I used "Heatzone" ones from Bridisco (BDC)which were very good value and had some good control features.

Sadly BDC went into liquidation in December, I can find a few of their heaters but being sold by retail outlets that bought them trade like me and they are much more money. I have found a couple of on-line suppliers that do dimplex etc but again much more expensive and lacking the ambient temperature control element.

I really would like to find another trade supplier somewhere in Europe, the units were made in Spain that much I know.

Thanks JR.

May I add a supplementary question?  All the literature I see refuses to give prices - only reductions (etc) of - 30% etc if you buy now.  This to me, means they are expensive,  so can anyone give me an idea of what they do actually cost?

Good grief! I never fail to be amazed at some of les petits annonces.

I was paying £85 for the bathroom 0.85kw ones, £100 for the 1.2kw and £125 for the 1.7kw all singing all dancing ones (all + VAT) those I can find now are about 30 or 40% more.

But €8000 for 6 [:-))]

The reason that I like them is not just for their economy (which in itself is not massive) but the fact that they draw current when occupiers are less likely to be using cookers, kettles etc, it means that I can heat a 40m2 apartment on a 6kw supply without tripping the disjoncteur.

[quote user="J.Rs gone native"]... it means that I can heat a 40m2 apartment on a 6kw supply without tripping the disjoncteur.[/quote]

Crikey, we have an 88 m2 3 bedroomed house, all electric - ballon, 9 x convecteurs électriques, dishwasher, wash machine, tumble dryer and a 9Kw supply and, as yet, we have not tripped out the supply. Though I must admit our living area is southfacing, we live in coastal southern Morbihan and we do benefit from 2 x sliding patio doors on the southern elevation. Apart from that I do juggle loads when it is pouring with rain on a freezing cold winter's day and the tumble dryer is turning, the heaters are heating and I have to work out what I am going to switch off so I can boil the kettle for a cup of tea!

Sue [:)]

J.R. Wrote:

[quote]The reason that I like them is not just for their economy (which in itself is not massive) but the fact that they draw current when occupiers are less likely to be using cookers, kettles etc, it means that I can heat a 40m2 apartment on a 6kw supply without tripping the disjoncteur.

[/quote]

How good are they by say 4.00PM, JR?

We had a house in the UK many years ago, which was totally fitted with cumbersome storage heaters on a white meter.

By 3.00-4.00PM in Winter, or even a cold Autumn-Spring, it was essential to have other forms (expensive) of heating, thus much of the apparent economy was lost.

Rather than individual storage heaters, the new form of a thermal store, heated by electricity (Which can be topped off by solar) and providing wet CH seems the best. Particularly if the wet system is underfloor.

All about being able to store sufficient heat energy to adequately provide enough for 24 hours, of course.

They are more than adequate GS, as they have a sliding damper outpu control you can set them up to slow down the release of heat and have a bit of a boost when you need it the next evening, this is especially desireable in bedrooms, without this control you would have to sweat in bed during les heures creuses to have enough heat for when you go to bed the next night.

I have a reversible clime which I needed to use in the salon some evenings during the really cold snap however the storage heater in that area was deliberately undersized at 1.7kw with this in mind.

They all seem to fully charge in under 5 hours after which the timer allows my washing machine to kick in.

Archived