Complete France Forum

Immersion heater element

tuppence

[quote user="Gluestick"]

Even in my "Gorilla" days, I don't think I would have attempted to de-mount my ballon whilst still full of water!

Let's see: 200 Litres of water is 200 Kg: which is approx  31.496 Stone, plus the weight of the damned thing = 2 prescotts.

[:D]

[/quote]

Think you might have got it wrong again Gs.

Surely its 2 Ballons Prescott

I was thinking of trying to promote the concept of deadweight to the body of SI values.

And thereby, significant impossible to lift without hernia masses being defined in "Prescotts".

But I must admit the concept of say BPs has a certain punchy ring to it!

One BP; Two BPs etc.

[:D]

• 2 weeks later...

I knew it was too good to be true re: immersion heater (Chauffe eau) problem!! Got the new thermostat at Bricoman Calais and they said it was only a one year guarantee on the heater so I had to pay for a new one. The only one they had was for a 200litre ballon but as it was the same size as the one I took back I had no alternative but to buy that one. Anyway fast forward to yesterday when the elctrician came to fit new thermostat. They seem to think that I need a new fusebox as I have 2. (don't ask me why, I'm just a female senior person with no knowledge of these things) The original EDF one needs to be replaced before I can get on to the heures creuses tariff as it is apparently very old (over 30 years). The new one in the kitchen which contains all the disjoncteurs for all other items i.e. washer, cooker all switches and sockets tripped this morning taking all the power off yet again and I am presuming that the chauffe eau is again to blame. If I hadn't been on a bathroom visit at 4.30am I wouldn't have noticed it and I have a freezer full of goodies. So here I am feeling very sorry for myself and waiting for the electrician to arrive as he said he would check it this morning after yesterdays re-fit.

tuppence

My money is on the fact that the fault was not actually the thermostat but a short or leakege to earth on theheating element causing the disjoncteur differntial to trip, I seem to recall diagnosing that in my head when you first posted the problem, I will read again your postings to be sure that I didnt dream it!

Editted, have just read through all that you posted and it does seem that the competent electrican may have had an off day [:)]

I have also removed the first few paragraphs of this posting as I was talking dogs danglies! - not for the first time either.

Hi JR,

Just to put everything in order:- 

1) Initial diagnosis was a duff thermostat, so off I went to Bricoman to get a new one which should have been under guarantee (2 years for electrical parts) but I was told it only had a years guarantee.

2) Bricoman hadn't got one for a 100L heater so I was assured that the one I did take for a 200L heater (and paid for) would suffice.

3) After it being fitted, all electrics tripped again and electrician said that the thermostat was not compatible with my heater, could be that it was a slightly different size. I have no idea at this point as my knowledge of electrics and their components could be easily written on a pin head.[:$]

4) Because I have 2 "fuseboxes" in  my house, it now appears that the one which I needed to use when I opted for Heures creuses tariff, is as old as the proverbial hills and needs replacing before the electricans wire the heater up to  it. Apparently EDF will replace this free of charge if it is to replace as opposed to a fitting new. So that is the first thing I now have to arrange. But I do have e-mails from Bricoman Customer Services telling me that YES I am still under guarantee and they are waiting for me to find the original receipt (in mothers litter bin in UK). Are you still awake!! Once that is sorted then the new immersion heater can be fitted to a new fusebox and I will be quids in (ha) with my heures creuse tariff.

Other than that everythings wonderful. No hot water, probably will need a new kettle and todays was the first dental appointment for root canal work.[6] Does life get any better?[:-))]

tuppence

[quote user="tuppence"]

Other than that everythings wonderful. No hot water, probably will need a new kettle and todays was the first dental appointment for root canal work.[6] Does life get any better?[:-))]

tuppence

[/quote]

Can it get worse? It could stay the same but thats not probable, therefore it must get better Q.E.D

[quote user="tuppence"]

Hi JR,

Just to put everything in order:- 

1) Initial diagnosis was a duff thermostat, so off I went to Bricoman to get a new one which should have been under guarantee (2 years for electrical parts) but I was told it only had a years guarantee.

2) Bricoman hadn't got one for a 100L heater so I was assured that the one I did take for a 200L heater (and paid for) would suffice.

3) After it being fitted, all electrics tripped again and electrician said that the thermostat was not compatible with my heater, could be that it was a slightly different size. I have no idea at this point as my knowledge of electrics and their components could be easily written on a pin head.[:$]

4) Because I have 2 "fuseboxes" in  my house, it now appears that the one which I needed to use when I opted for Heures creuses tariff, is as old as the proverbial hills and needs replacing before the electricans wire the heater up to  it. Apparently EDF will replace this free of charge if it is to replace as opposed to a fitting new. So that is the first thing I now have to arrange. But I do have e-mails from Bricoman Customer Services telling me that YES I am still under guarantee and they are waiting for me to find the original receipt (in mothers litter bin in UK). Are you still awake!! Once that is sorted then the new immersion heater can be fitted to a new fusebox and I will be quids in (ha) with my heures creuse tariff.

tuppence

[/quote]

2d:

I am not happy with the information your "Expertes" seem to be dishing out.

The only difference, structurally, in a standard thermostat is its capacity to carry load: just because it is for a bigger capacity Ballon shouldn't make a scrap of difference. The larger tank simply normally means that the heating element his larger. Otherwise a tank double the size would take circa twice as long to reach the set temperature.

Provided the new thermostat was correctly wired in then this will not cause the mains to blow out. Thus either; (i) the thermostat was incorrectly wired or (ii) the heater element is internally shorting, as JR suggested.

Unless I knew the exact and specific details concerning the Tableaux (i.e. fusebox/consumer unit) it is impossible to comment meaningfully on this: other than to say in light  of what has transpired thus far, a second quotation will be the sensible thing to do.

In the cause perhaps of guarding your wallet!

Hi Gluestick,

I am of the opinion that you and JR are right, but as I said I have to take these peoples word as I know nowt about these things. I am hoping that when the original bill arrives (via mothers bin from the UK) I can then get a)a new chauffe eau or b) the electrical parts for same. My only worry at this stage is just how long these things are going to take. Are EDF quick at changing tableaux, are Bricoman going to honour the guarantee and how long will they take? And now I am off to have a nice hot shower at a friends house. Probably exiting same with more wrinkles than I already have.[:D]

I do appreciate your responses to everyone who has.......watch this space for more info!

tuppence

Archived