Complete France Forum

Fitting doors and windows

oldgit72

I will be fitting wooden door and window frames into a stone cottage shortly. In the UK, I would use brown mastic to seal the join between the walls and the wooden frames. Is it necessary to use anything else here given that stone walls 'breathe' and that inevitably this would lead to some damp penetration into the wood without a suitable barrier. Thanks

Existing would have been green oak more as likely and quite forgiving of a little dampness. Orinal pointing would have been in lime mortar which again transmits damp to an extent.

If you use softwood I suspect you will be making a rod for your own back but hardwood fitted on the metal stays (Dunno what they are actually called in France) then foam fixed and raked back to allow a mastic seal or quadrant fixing should be ok. You could always decorate the frames before fitting for addittional protection.

• 4 weeks later...
I'm trying without success to get hold of some brown expanding foam to fill in the gaps between the doors/windows and the stonework. The white is easy to get hold of but this would look wrong with stone walls and oak frames. Does anyone know who might stock expanding foam in brown?

I dont know that it exists, but whatever colour foam you end up with (the ones that I use from toolstation at the moment are toxic waste green) unless you paint it to protect it from UV rays you will end up with the brown colour that you are seeking.

Archived