Complete France Forum

Springy floor boards - new

thunderhorse

I laid new pine floorboards over the ancient and rolling grenier floor. In one or two places I didn't pack it enough, so one or two of the new boards are springier than I would like. It's now a bit too late to lift the boards again without a lot of hassle.

I had this mad notion of a small hole in the offending board(s) and generously pumping in expanding foam as packing material. Could it work, or too bizarre to contemplate?

Any other ideas?

Cheers.

Take up dancing? or gymnastics?

Seriously though, although the foam would work initially, I would think that it would soon turn to dust (it's not very strong after all) and could cause worse problems.

Inject PVA and put something heavy on the floorboard until its set?

Go for it, I would [:D]

Dont forget to let us know later if it was an unqualified disaster so that:

A - I can avoid doing the same

B- I need a good laugh [6]

Seriously I would give it a try, what do you have to lose?

I suppose you will soon find out the answer to that question!

Expanded foam (used from a pro gun) is my weapon of choice to demerdé myself from most situations, to date I have had only one failure which was none the less spectacular. I tried using it as an exhaust packing material to avoid cutting open a silencer to repack it, the subsequent smoke cloud behind me was very noxious and hung very well in the air, it stopped all traffic.

Over a year later a tiny remaining incandescent morceu was expelled while my car was on a rolling road and fell unseen nto the roller pit, the operator on seeing and smelling the acrid smoke panicked and was convinced that the dyno brake had caught fire.

P.S. They sell in the UK an expanding  foam glue used to stick down gripper rods, you can use it with a standard pro gun and it would probably be be better for you in this application.

[quote user="BIG MAC"]

Good idea but you will get a far better result using gripfill pumped in and allowed to set.

[/quote]

Cheers, but is it designed for bulk use? There may be some litrage required by the time it's run and found a level... Or is it fairly stiff to use?

Cheers.

It's the tool for the job and if you drill neatly and pump in sufficient (Couple of good squeezes) and leave to set up you can use a sharp chisel to clean away the excess and it may well look like a knot in the wood.

It's Gap filling so not much required at all  but there will be lots of litte holes required dpendent upon how 'floating' your floor is.

Archived