Complete France Forum

Concrete upper floor

BIG MAC

This may be one of my maddest Ideas yet!

We have two huge outbuildings which have haylofts both of which have pretty rotten / wormed floorboards. One of the buildings I want to use as a grage with rooms above the other I would like to turn into guest quarters.

Rather than rip out the ropey flooring and joists I had the idea to form pockets in the masonry all the way along by removing stones from the rubble wall then lining the existing floor with DPM and laying reinforcement prior to pumping in a concrete cast in situ slab. This would allow a very open plan arrangement and for me to remove one of the roofs to create a roof terrace. Is this madness or a pretty cool idea?

I can get all the calcs done by engineers at work then its just a case of removing the rotten floor from beneath using a nail gun to batten out underside then fasten insulated plasterboard.

Roof terrace would require a screed laid to falls and tiling but could be brill I think.

Any thoughts?

To lay a wooden floor properly I would need to build internal block walls to carry  the joist tails and use some seriously heavy timbers to get the span. I like the idea of using concrete and its not too heavy in reality.

Hi Big Mac,

We considered doing something similar to a barn, from memories the concrete floor added 6 tons. We bottled it and replaced the timbers, I belive there is a lightweight (aircrete) that can be used for the same purpose but would require a couple of rsj's for added support and a dollop of gripfill.[:)]

Let us know how you get on

The previous wooden ground floor over my cellar has been replaced in a similar manner but by a Picard artisan and so it isnt tied in to the side walls, I dont think that it is reinforced, it is cracked and bounces a lot.

On the positive side it has been up since probably the end of WW2 when the house was rebuilt for the 2nd time and it has not yet fallen down despite my removing quite substantial sections of it.

I am pretty sure I can get the engineers in our drawing office to do the calcs and in truth at this kind of span RSJs are starting to think about bending under their own weight.

Block and beam would be conventional wisdom but I can visualise this a a pretty neat piece of engineering which would tie the buildings together.

Decisions,  decisions lol

Two buildings are back to back,with roofs to a central valley.

I am thinking on losing only one of the roofs and building two very big dormers on the other to create access to the terrace.

Maybe timber would be ok for the internal and concrete for the external but I would love to see the whole thing open plan.

It would look excellent

Archived