Complete France Forum

Mairie Says 'Declaration de Travaux/Permis de Construire' Not Needed

Rich1972

[quote user="Chancer"]

From what I can gather it is the rear elevation of the house and the Maire is correct, no permission of any kind is required.[/quote]

Well that was also the opinion of my French builder when I asked him some months ago. I said I needed a DdT, no? And he said, 'Non!' I was surprised then and didn't believe him.

Look here mate I can quote you the Civil Code etc till the cows come home. But the crucial point is to distinguish between legal requirements and what your local maire and adjoints consider necessary. The reality of the matter is that in rural france many little building jobs are done without legal compliance, often with tacit approval of the maire and often just done discreetly without attracting attention; particularly if the tax situation doth change not. Personally this year I have on my building programme a new terrace more than 2M2 and less than 20 M2; definitely in D T territory; the terrace will juxtapose the door to the garden installed during last years programme. Of course all this work is done in a discreet manner so as to aesthetically improve the surroundings of the neighbouring Norman Bridge which is a national monument.

I have submitted a permis for the ground floor of my Barn (150m2) in order to keep the costs down and avoid the need to use an architect. I am planning to develop the barn by adding rooms upstairs after the ground floor has been finished but without putting in an additional permis as the additional work would not affect the external appearance of the Barn.

You could if you want make external changes like veluxes, dormers etc as dependant on what they are only a declaration prealable is needed not requiring the intervention of an architect.

I am turning and ex bar/hotel into 8 flats without a permis de construire and architect, the external changes were to reduce the sizes of the massive glazed openings and turn them into two windows by the means of a central brick pillar and  two arches above , the entry vestibule was reduced to a domestic size door in a similar manner. Oh and the velux windows.

These changes were done under a declaration prealable, the remainder of the works being internal despite having major structural elements do not require permission.

That is my understanding also. I needed a permis as it involved changing a former agricultural building to domestic use and there were significant changes to the external appearance under phase 1 of the work. Phase 2 however will involve internal work exclusively and as such I would not require another permis.

Just a small point; anecdotal reminiscences about building permits may not in fact reflect the important modifications made by Monsieur Borloo in October 2007; the modifications reduced significantly the number of Permits extant, simplified the administrative procedure, etc,etc. 

[quote user="pachapapa"]Personally this year I have on my building programme a new terrace more than 2M2 and less than 20 M2; definitely in D T territory; the terrace will juxtapose the door to the garden installed during last years programme. Of course all this work is done in a discreet manner so as to aesthetically improve the surroundings of the neighbouring Norman Bridge which is a national monument.[/quote]

So can we look forward to another display of banners hanging from your property if things don't go your way ?

[quote user="Salty Sam"]

[quote user="pachapapa"]Personally this year I have on my building programme a new terrace more than 2M2 and less than 20 M2; definitely in D T territory; the terrace will juxtapose the door to the garden installed during last years programme. Of course all this work is done in a discreet manner so as to aesthetically improve the surroundings of the neighbouring Norman Bridge which is a national monument.[/quote]

So can we look forward to another display of banners hanging from your property if things don't go your way ?

[/quote]

If you can give me half-a-dozen white double sheets I would be willing to oblige your sentimental memories.[:)]

Our experience is the same as yours Rich. At our previous house we asked the Mayor about putting windows in the roof - he said the 3 velux at the back didn't need permission as they only overlooked our garden, and the 'chien assis' at the front was not a problem as we were 'enlarging' a tiny roof light, this was about 8 years ago. We have sinced moved and again went to ask our new Mayor about a Permis for new windows in the roof - again he said we didn't need them for velux type, even though we overlook a country road each side of the house, but when we said we would also like a 'chien assis' on each side he then gave us the forms; they only took about 3 weeks to be returned duly authorised.

Hi Folks,

New to this forum but have found this discussion interesting & informative. We've recently changed our attached garage ( which was originally a barn already half converted into a bedroom ) into a living area & put in a staircase to create 2 bedrooms & a bathroom above. All done by local artisans plus our one permanent resident French neighbour in a hamlet of 5 houses.

OK stupid Brit coming up - it's all internal work so didn't think we needed planning permission. But nobody ever asked if we had it! We're feeling guilty & worried now & have had a letter translated to give to the Marie this week explaining this & asking support for retrospective permission.

Anyone ever had retrospective planning given? Reading some of the posts, no-one in our hamlet gives a hoot what we've had done - no outside changes of any significance - and so I'm tempted to say nothing. Obviously we'll declare the extra spaces for taxes but will change of space use affect resell? Is proof of permission needed for resell? I hope our Marie shrugs his shoulders too and says it doesn't matter!

Cheers,

JM

Archived