Complete France Forum

Re: Freezing Pipes and etc:

Gluestick

Not in the few that I have visited recently GS, they did have cabin showers with acrylic or glass back panels but as I have the shower trays (grace à someone on this forum) I would like to be able to choose my back panels, enclosures and mixer/hydromassage units seperately as we used to be able to do chez Brico-depot.

They really have a drastically reduced range now, the current catalogue is only 171 pages of wafer thin paper compared to 445 thickerand larger ones in 2006.

They are becoming more and more like B&Q every day, the cour de materiaux will probably be the next thing to go being replaced by a garden centre!

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a quick update on the dire cabin shower bought from Leroy-Merlin.

Pierre take note!

In the final event, the shower tray was faulty: it cracked, radially, all around the waste recess. The tray was made from blow-moulded (or Vacuum Moulded) Acrylic. Now obviously, when the flat sheet of material is place on the mould it is all one thickness. It becomes thinner and thinner as the moulding process blows or sucks the sheet into the recess and the final recess and annular ring on which the waste mounts.

After a two hour trip (There and back) to Leroy, returned with a new heavy duty base, almost the precise profile, so the back and sides fitted up OK.

Downside being another € 150 lighter [:-))] and the sheer fag of lifting the whole back and sides mouldings and valves onto the new component and re-sealing - again!

When I have a spare minute, I'll take and post a pic of the broken part and you will instantly see how thin and useless it was.

The tray overall lacked rigidity to the point where it was filled (Underside) with polystyrene blocks to prevent it collapsing when stood upon!

Now it's weird! One stands there as if on concrete!

Meanwhile, a letter of complaint will be shortly off to the head honcho at Leroy-Merlin concerning (i) Defective manufacturing process and (ii) Defective design of the shower valve.

• 10 months later...

Sorry to resurect this thread but there is a postscript.

After struggling with luke-warm showers for quite a while I decided to take the shower apart again, its a real fag doing that.  I took the tap apart but could see nothing oviously wrong. So, enough's enough and I replaced the whole unit for the simplest one I could find.  It was €9.99 , on special as a small part was missing (which I didn't need anyway) A backing plate made from aluminium to blank off the original holes and to stiffen up the whole thing and at last I have a HOT and reasonably powerful shower.  I don't have the side jets but since they're pretty useless I'm not bothered.  Sorry for the poor quaility of picture below as I took it on my 'phone because my camera was 400 Kms away at the time.

[IMG]http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb233/Pierrezfp/ShowerplanB.jpg[/IMG]

That shower back looks eerily familiar Pierre![:)]

Nice neat job: the blanking and support plate has fitted in nicely.

Compliments to the Chef.

Our is still functioning well: and the thermostat works perfectly still too.

My one that froze split the valve that diverts the flow from the pommette to the back scratching jets, it was a simple pull out knob that had a habit of switching back to the pommette if the flow wasnt high enough.

I simply connected the incoming flexible directly to the pommette but I would like to re-instate the function if only to get a load of freezing water on my wotsits when switching from a warm pommette shower!

Does anyone know where I can find something compatible? I can also adapt something to fit, was going to say bodge but Pierres work is worthy of a better phrase.

I dont mind sourcing it in France or the UK, the shower is in the UK.

I actually have a friend who runs a plumbers merchant but he is always winging about punters who expect him to supply spares for kamikazi showers that they have bought from B & Q so I am reluctant to ask unless I can quote a part number of something suitable from one of the mainstream suppliers if they/it exists.

[quote user="Chancer"]

My one that froze split the valve that diverts the flow from the pommette to the back scratching jets, it was a simple pull out knob that had a habit of switching back to the pommette if the flow wasnt high enough.

I simply connected the incoming flexible directly to the pommette but I would like to re-instate the function if only to get a load of freezing water on my wotsits when switching from a warm pommette shower!

Does anyone know where I can find something compatible? I can also adapt something to fit, was going to say bodge but Pierres work is worthy of a better phrase.

I dont mind sourcing it in France or the UK, the shower is in the UK.

I actually have a friend who runs a plumbers merchant but he is always winging about punters who expect him to supply spares for kamikazi showers that they have bought from B & Q so I am reluctant to ask unless I can quote a part number of something suitable from one of the mainstream suppliers if they/it exists.

[/quote]

Something like this, JRC?

http://www.homesupply.co.uk/bristan-prism-contemporary-diverter-valve=PMSDIVC.htm

Now that's a rather expensive item: there must be far cheaper items available.

Now this might do the job: £32.99 !

http://www.4bathrooms.co.uk/index.php/shower-steam/showers-valves/waterfront-gt780-bath-shower-wall-valve.html

Thanks for the kind words peeps.  I'm glad you looked in Gluey as you have the same shower as me and I remember you talked about doing something similar.  I'm also glad yours is working OK, I was just fed up with it and went for a complete change. 

After I looked at the photo again I thought the tap looked a bit skew and not square.  I checked it all again and it is spot on.  Must be a trick of the light or the poor photo.

[quote user="Pierre ZFP"]

Thanks for the kind words peeps.  I'm glad you looked in Gluey as you have the same shower as me and I remember you talked about doing something similar.  I'm also glad yours is working OK, I was just fed up with it and went for a complete change. 

After I looked at the photo again I thought the tap looked a bit skew and not square.  I checked it all again and it is spot on.  Must be a trick of the light or the poor photo.

[/quote]

Just returned from la belle, Pierre and sorry to say my shower thermostat valve is still working perfectly!

That said, I now seem to have a problem with waste water leaking under the new very rigid tray...........

Probably, I have jarred the waste or pipe connection when I was compelled to once again pull the damned thing out, ver Pacques, to rectify yet another leak from a duff pipe joint, thanks to Frank le plombier: you know, he of the nuclear power station at Dunkirk..................

[:-))]

Don't be sorry that your tap is still working, be greatful!! Long may it last

I guess by now that you are getting as hacked off as I was at taking the cubicle apart for the nth time.  Touch wood, the outlet bit of my shower is fine but it must be frustrating (not to say messy) to have a leak from a duff joint.

Archived