Complete France Forum

French cabling standards

BIG MAC

Hi,

I have taken a look about forum to see if this has come up before as I think I have seen it but may be kidding myself.......What are the correct cable standards for use in a French installation?

My brother tells me that in the UK we use 'YY' which may be an equivalent (Rationale being this is used to wire in Italian industrial ovens where he works) If 'YY' is suitable (Whatever it is) then I can get a good discount on it which may help my project.

Standardes and normes is there a good translation of this from French to English....not shirking my French language learning I just want to make sure I put structural elements in the right place not to impede the sparkies?

Thanks

But the YY (http://cse-distributors.co.uk/cable/yy-pvc.htm) is a control cable, not a bog-standard three core mains one. I somehow doubt if that would comply with French house wiring norms. "Number coded control cable to BS6004 which is used as measuring, checking and control cable in machine tool manufacturing, plant engineering and on assembly lines and production lines to meet stringent safety requirements."

Good luck, anyway.

I suspect that despite the gobledegook YY would outperform the NF standards and contains three separate pvc sheathed multistrand conductors which seems a similar spec to that used by electricians round our way in France.

I had a similar dilemma regarding single cables to be run in gaine icta when I realsied that the cables I had brought from the UK were not solid core like the French ones.

The French single core cables are not NF marked, it might be practical to do so but to read the marking is another matter, I have looked long and hard at all the regs and references to them that I can find and reckon it is OK to use what I have as I consider it to be âme rigide souple and not multibrin so all the gaines that I have recently placed carry it but the earlier ones were prefilée with solid core cable.

What I hadnt reckoned on was the manufacturers of the cheaper sockets (50 to 70 cts) and lightswitches have all changed to push in connectors, and whilst these do grip the cable sufficient to avoid overheating it is not as secure as the solid core, to make matters worse where I have a solid and a flexible core going in side by side the design of the connector does not really allow for even minute differences in core diameter.

Before anyone accuses me of being cheapskate I will have over 200 sockets to buy, I am fitting 60 at the moment and the difference between 59cts and even the cheapest marque item runs to over €500.

I hope to overcome my current problems by using crimp wire pins or whatever they are called but its a shame to not use the UK cable (designed for use in conduits) as it is significantly cheaper and boy does it take away the swearing when wiring and subsequent fitting of the socket to the backbox.

P.S. If anyone nows where I can still find flush fitting premier prix sockets and lightswitches with screw terminals please let me know. Oh and they mustnt secure with griffes alone, a lot of them now have screw fixings as well as griffes.

Hi Gents .....Pachapappa I was only using my link as indicative.....I can get most sizes, your link is very helpful though it is sticking to the 'Control cable' definition which worries me.

Chancer I bought a shedload of surface mount sockest and flush switches from Noz about 6 months ago may be worth asking them if they are going to get more in? I can't recall whether they were screw terminal and TBH thought they may in some way be ropey but my Brother who is an electrician looked and said not only were they ok but the were 'fully shuttered' (whatever that means)

Re the multi strand...said brother uses crimp nipples to terminate (sounds painful)

I had never heard of Noz before, looks like there is one about an hour away from me so another balade beckons.

It does make me laugh that these magasins de destockage probbaly would not exist if retailers were simply allowed to mark down their stock when they want to shift it, the cost involved in gathering stock from all the outlets across France, and then redistributing to all the destockage outlets is evident in the relatively high prices.

'Drinkable' wine at 1.95€  a bottle may help dull the pain (So I am told...I don't drink wine) I just bought some groovy safety boots for 9.95€ and last  year bought a load of good quality English made rugby shirts @ 4.95€ each.......

Archived