Complete France Forum

Anyone built their house? Any tips to share?

KristaandDahl

Hi!

We're recently purchased a piece of land (in the Correze 19) and are looking to begin building our house by the end of the year. The property already had a permis de construire but we are now applying for an ammendment to the plans as there were a few changes we wanted to make.

Anyhow, has anyone on the forum built their house from scratch and would be willing to share any tips/regrets/insights/'wish-someone-had-told-me-that-when-I-started'??n Any info would be very much appreciated!!

krista

Buy a copy of 'Construire ou renover sa maison' link as below loads of illustrations

http://www.amazon.fr/Construire-ou-R%C3%A9nover-sa-maison/dp/2207252620/ref=sr_1_7?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1280388809&sr=1-7

Are you sure you will want /  be able to stay in the house ten years ? If not look very carefully at the ten year insurance requirement as without it you will probably take a knock on the price if you sell within ten years.

I think you may be better tendering the works to a main contractor in order to get the guarantees and benefits of any French Tax reliefs available (I don't know what the situation is re new build in France but there are distinct advantages in the UK)

You could split out little 'works packages' that you would rather do yourself.

You should also consider Insuring the works on an all risks basis if doing works yourself and a contractor is injured......etc.

If you have expensive materials damaged or stolen (not that I see much evidence of stealing where we stay) again Insurance would be helpful.

Archived