Complete France Forum

Ceilings repairs

Postie

The existing ceilings in my place have these features, mine have about a 6" radius, are solid plaster without any re-inforcing, every now and then gravity gets the better of a new section which makes a hell of a mess on the floor, they must have used bags and bags of plaster, given that all building materials were in very short supply both times my property was rebuilt after the two wars I can only assume that this was the only means at their disposal to avoid cracks at the ceiling/wall junction.

I dont like the look of it, dont like the mess and danger when it falls and will be ripping it out whoesale before putting in suspended ceilings.

I have seen the trowels once or twice on sale at a réderie but they are as rare as the moulds for parpaings.

Thanx for all the suggestions. I rather like the curved corners, they are very French & I will try to repair them. Think I might make a trowel thing myself with some light gauge galvanised sheeting I have. Will let you know how it pans out.

Postie

If repairing a section and it is narrower than a standard floating trowel ......thats all the trowels you need!

If  replacing a section why not make make a moulding box - and cast it in plaster (you can reinforce with fibreglass and your own skillins will likely be horsehair reinforced (beware potential Anthrax risk! --- negligible in my experience!) ......that is how they did the ornate ceilings in the past......They did not go about plastering their own heads.....

Hope it helps

Archived