Complete France Forum

Laying a gravel type drive

abbo2

Hi,

a while ago I read a tread about laying gravel driveways and someone described a method using various size stones so that after a period of time they settled and it formed a compact surface.

Although I have searched here, I am not convinced I have the right answer, I do need to know the french term,

I found Calcaire and Concasse - are they the same ? will they be suitable to cover an existing stone drive that is just old and worn out,

many thanks

[quote user="derf"]Calcaire is good for a base, then use pierre concassée to finish. You may also need une plaque vibrante to compact it.
[/quote]

Also known as une dammeuse.

I am told that the name comes from the crushing of grapes where traditionally the task would be done by the heaviest women in the village [;-)]

That is used as a sub-base and/or for consolidation, it can be of different materials according to your region (hence the name) ours (tout venant noir) has a high content of road planings and can be used as a temporary surface for a good few years if well wackered down, its what all the constructors of pavilions use for the soi disant parking, if covered with tarmac before it degrades too much it makes a fine driveway.

We also have quite attractive red granite chippings called schiste rouge.

• 4 months later...
[quote user="Sara Malvezie"]

Hi,

We need to add more gravel to our drive which is white marble type material. Does anyone know the name of a bulk supplier or the name/title we could look up in yellow pages please.

I suspect we will need a few lorry loads!

Thanks

[/quote]

Is that Sara from Malvezie in Haut Garonne?

How about trying the same contractor what does the gravel at Lourdes NOT Lourde.[:)]

Edit to place post outside quote box. 16:49 CET

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived