Complete France Forum

What to use to block a chimney opening

ericd

Hello all. Imagine a very large and imposant chimney (called Cantou in the South) so big that you can actually stand in it (ok, you would get covered head to toes in soot...) we have a Godin Regency 12Kw (ebay thank you) that throws most of its heat up-wards into the chimney breast......What have you guys used to block this opening (leaving just enough space for the 150mm pipe of the wood burner). Many thanks for sharing.

[quote user="ericd"]Hello all. Imagine a very large and imposant chimney (called Cantou in the South) so big that you can actually stand in it (ok, you would get covered head to toes in soot...) we have a Godin Regency 12Kw (ebay thank you) that throws most of its heat up-wards into the chimney breast......What have you guys used to block this opening (leaving just enough space for the 150mm pipe of the wood burner). Many thanks for sharing.[/quote]

You can use fire proof plasterboard. and put insulation above to throw the heat down wards.

I have a similar chimney.

I installed a register plate.  This involved fixing to the inside of the chimney (at about head height) a piece of angle iron horizontally on each side so it can't be seen from the room

I then got a big piece of galvanised steel cut in two pieces so it completely filled the opening with about a 10 cm overlap, resting on the angle iron previously installed.  I then cut a half-moon out of each side of the galvanised sheet at the overlap to allow the flue pipe to pass.

I was intending to fill any gaps with asbestos rope or similar but  it's quite a tight fit so I didn't bother. 

With my chimney, the flue pipe goes right to the top of the existing brick chimney were it is held in place with another plate.

Much later, I cut 3 more holes in the galvanised plates and put in 3 downlighters which wash the back wall of the hearth with a warm light.

A bit of a dirty job but well worth it.  I seem to remember the wole thing cost less than €20

[quote user="ericd"]Hello all. Imagine a very large and imposant chimney (called Cantou in the South) so big that you can actually stand in it (ok, you would get covered head to toes in soot...) we have a Godin Regency 12Kw (ebay thank you) that throws most of its heat up-wards into the chimney breast......What have you guys used to block this opening (leaving just enough space for the 150mm pipe of the wood burner). Many thanks for sharing.[/quote]

Well, the absolute way to install a Pôele du Bois into an extant large chimney breast would be to fit Inox (Stainless) flexible tubage: and then back-fill the surrounding space above the register plate (The plate which covers the whole upwards space but allows the tubage to pass through), with insulating non-flammable material such as Micafil.

See Here:

That said, since by the sound of it, your chimney is large enough to accommodate Santa, his sleigh, Rudolf and the team and most of Santa's little Elves!

[:D]

I would use double-wall tubing (Pre-Insulated, normally with Rockwool) and invest in a new wood burner with fan which deflects a majority of the available heat energy into the room.

It is, in any case, critical to ensure that the tube temperature is maintained right up to the exit point: if it cools increasingly towards the top, the correct draught will not be maintained and condensate of noxious chemicals, creosote and moisture will simply drip back down into the fire.

!2 KW for what must be a huge room, with a majority of the heat going straight up the chimney is not going to be very efficient anyway.

Because of the chance of damp and by the sound of it the span of the chimney I would suggest Gyproc multiboard.

"A non-combustible glass reinforced gyproc board combining excellent fire protection properties with a high degree of impact and moisture resistance, making it ideal for use in semi-exposed environments. Its inherent flexibility means it is also ideal for curved applications".

Archived