Complete France Forum

Flexible gas pipes

Iceni

[quote user="pachapapa"]

The comments by Gluey as to the use of elastomers in flexible gas pipes does not really reflect the situation in france today, although I believe that they were used in the years immediately after the decond world war due to the shortage of genuine rubber; I can only presume that there must be some factory from the 1970s in the UK supplying a vested elastomer monopoly interest.

[/quote]

Germany led the development of Synthetic Rubber, since it had no colonial access.

In any case, WWII developments in synthetics led to widespread usage of synthetic materials which enjoy far superior performance.

As one example, inner tubes for tyres have been manufactured from Butyl "Rubber" for over 60 years: as it does not perish, harden and crack like rubber: and more critically, it is more airtight.

Continuing developments of Long Chain Polymers led to a wide range of synthetic flexible materials used for seals, gaskets and tubing: such as Nitrile Rubber.

Synthetics far out perform natural latex rubber based materials. We used such materials extensively in motor race engine/gearbox building way back in 1970.

As you will see from the Wiki item, the first polymerised "Rubber" was made in 1909: so I hardly think WWI was the tipping point!

See Here:

[quote user="Gluestick"][quote user="pachapapa"]

The comments by Gluey as to the use of elastomers in flexible gas pipes does not really reflect the situation in france today, although I believe that they were used in the years immediately after the decond world war due to the shortage of genuine rubber; I can only presume that there must be some factory from the 1970s in the UK supplying a vested elastomer monopoly interest.

[/quote]

the first polymerised "Rubber" was made in 1909: so I hardly think WWI was the tipping point!

[/quote]

Butadiene poymerisation was frequently a strategic consideration. I remember visiting the  Sasol Styrene Butadiene plant built by the Fluor Corporation in 1960 near Vereeniging, whilst working in South Africa for Union Corporation. A strange coincidence that I would later work for the Fluor Corporation.

http://www.fluor.com/about_fluor/pages/default.aspx

I just put £80.02 of diesel in my car this morning. The fuel flowed through a hose and I kinda assumed it would be ok. because there's regulation thingies that make sure they are appropriate. I wonder why they don't just use garden hoses...they could have saved a few quid and my diesel may be cheaper.

Archived