Complete France Forum

Floor tiles on the wall?

confused of chalus

Having successfully (great sigh of relief) tiled our floor we have enough over to do splashbacks in the kitchen. Is there any reason why we cant use floor tiles on the wall? They are glazed ceramic 340 x 340 and 7mm thick.

Also,back to the floor, we have grouted in beige and wondered whether to put on some kind of sealant to keep it clean.

thanks, Kathy

I wouldn't imagine there would be any particular problem, in fact I have no professional experience of tile laying but have stuck floor tiles on bits of my kitchen and other rooms without any real problems. But as I mention I am definitely not a practitioner in the art.

In fact I am not a practitioner in anything since I arrived in france in 1996.

No reasons why you couldn't tile walls with floor tiles (except if walls are too thin to hold the weight). As the tiles are glazed, I don't see any reason why you should add protection to the floor....unless you intend to wash it with left over tomatoe soup....[:D]

I have used 300 by 600mm floor tiles (bêton ciré) behind kitchen worktops and very nice they look too, bloomin hard to cut the holes for the prises murales though, I had to use a diamond core bit in a pillar drill at low speed with plenty of water, takes a long time. 

[quote user="confused of chalus"]Also,back to the floor, we have grouted in beige and wondered whether to put on some kind of sealant to keep it clean.

thanks, Kathy[/quote]

Our tile supplier recommended we purchased a bottle of sealant for the grout. I thought it was just another way of parting me from yet more money, and declined. Having laid the tiles, and grouted, we rapidly changed our minds, and applied the produit. A bit tedious to apply, but the effect is remarkable! I would highly recommend it!

Just re-reading the "we did grout in beige..." comment........ours is dark grey in France with lightly glazed finish and light beige around our Travertine in the UK kitchen but the whole floor has been sealed with the stinky stuff so both fine but reading the other poster's advice, I would tend to agree with them (especially for the shower area....mind, that's what Sillit BANG is for)..

[quote user="ericd"]Just re-reading the "we did grout in beige..." comment........ours is dark grey in France with lightly glazed finish and light beige around our Travertine in the UK kitchen but the whole floor has been sealed with the stinky stuff so both fine but reading the other poster's advice, I would tend to agree with them (especially for the shower area....mind, that's what Sillit BANG is for)..[/quote]

But, is that stuff fosse friendly?[:P]

[quote user="ericd"][quote user="sweet 17"]

But, is that stuff fosse friendly?[:P]

[/quote]

Quest j'en sais moi???....and water used to clean the floor does not hit our fosse.

[/quote]

OK, OK, but what about tiled shower floors?[:P]

No, I'm not being argumentative but, after reading this thread, I have been thinking about re-grouting and sealing the tiles in our large shower/wet room.

Am currently removing the grout from my kitchen tiles, white tiles grouted in black[8-)][8-)], with a dremel. It works quite well[:)] there's a Domestos bleach that states on the back that it is fosse friendly Sweets.

Archived