Complete France Forum

Portes fenetres

MisterC

Hi - am trying to get hold of some new french doors which open outwards (Don't have any choice, logistics of the interior make it impossible any other way). Have tried Lapeyre and Vial in Limoges and they say a definite NO even sur mesure for some reason. Anyone got any ideas of a supplier or menuiserie that might not be quite so dismissive? Thanks for your help

Do you want wood or UPVC?

If you have g for wood I have seen somebody 'bodge' them by putting them in the other way round. You  would have to remove the overlap seal (goes top to bottom and covers the joint when the door is closed) which depending who made the doors is normally separate. If it isn't then you could plane it off and put a new strip on the other side. If of course you have UPVC then that may be a tad difficult. You may also find there is a channel along the bottom for water that's not seen when the door is closed. It will normally have a few holes in to allow the water to run out. You would need to block those with dowel then drill holes on the opposite side. It's not impossible if you are OK with above average DIY skills and have the equipment. The other alternative is to get them hand made by a local company which will probably cost you a bomb. Of course you could simply tell the wife no and move the furniture which could have the added benefit that she may not speak to you for a week. [;-)]

Anyway that's the best idea I can come up with but perhaps somebody else may have a better one.

I have been having a discussion on another forum about opening in and out windows in France but i never knew that opening out doors were difficult to get hold of. I am looking at supplying upvc open in and out upvc windows & doors to Expats in France.

Lapeyere do made to measure windows dont they? French Windows open out the way ...don't they? Order a very tall French window set with robust hinges and locking mechanism.

Either that or buy the door that opens the wrong way and have it delivered to your local friendly charpantier...tell him to make it swing the other way....oooooerrrrr

Hi yes Lapeyre do and they're very good quality and have exactly the size I want (not higher than 200cm and width about 108cm) but they all open inwards and when I asked if they could make them to order opening outwards the answer was NON! I will ask my mate who will fit them if he can adapt ordinary inwards opening windows. I did look at a couple of UK sites but they didn't have the right height.

Moderators Hat ON

So you know what has happened to some of the posts, they have have been removed because they breached the the CofC. I have also removed other posts that referred to them.

Sorry for the disruption to the flow of the thread, I should have done it earlier, my apologies.

Moderators Hat OFF

Archived