Complete France Forum

Holiday Homes - Heating on/off?

Hi, Just a quick question to holiday home owners.  Do you leave the heating on during the winter months whilst not at your property?  If so - at what temperature do you set it at.  We visit our house in the Gers about 10 times a year - the majority of which is outside the winter months.  However, we do go out at Christmas/New Year time and then again before Easter.  This is for our peace of mind as much as a 'French Fix' in order to make sure nothing has frozen up, broken or got damaged.  We also leave the heating on from around end October (last visit before Christmas) until March.  But 5 months seems so excessive - and expensive, especially as we have a gas tank!  Just wondering what others do.  Thanks JT

When our house was a holiday home, we shut down our central heating and closed off the water so there could be no burst pipes.  OK it was cold when we arrived but it only takes a couple of days (max) to warm it back up.  The first night is the worst so make sure you have hot water bottles and bed socks etc.  Gas is very expensive here so you make a large saving. 

As a surveyor, I can tell you that the cold does not do any major harm to a house, provided there is no water ingress (holes in the roof etc) and provuded all water is drained out of pipes and tanks.  In fact, warm unoccupied houses have condensation problems - you are not there to ventilate the place - and it is warm conditions that makes, for example, dry rot rampant.

An unattended gas boiler that is firing up regularly is not a brilliant idea either.  I am not sure that your insurance would cover you if anything disastrous went wrong with the boiler while you were away.

I wonder what others do?

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

"The first night is the worst so make sure you have hot water bottles and bed socks etc." 

Electric blankets are great for warming up cold mattresses.

Do a search on here as there was lots of discussion a while back on closing up houses for the winter.

[/quote]

Cendrillon - I did a search on 'winter' and then on 'closing' and then 'close house' and nothing came up.  [:(] Any other ideas for the search?

We have electric heating and leave it on the "frost setting". We turn off the water and empty the toilet cistern (but have not taken the water out of the pan). We don't empty the hot water ballon. Bedsocks and Hot water bottles for the first night is a very good idea.

[quote user="Cendrillon"]

"The first night is the worst so make sure you have hot water bottles and bed socks etc." 

Electric blankets are great for warming up cold mattresses.

[/quote]

Cendrillon

That's all good if you are on your own, but don't you have someone to 'help you warm up the mattress ..........together' Thats a much better option[blink] if not, give me a ring! we may be able to arrange something?[6]

Archived