Complete France Forum

Price for installation of gates

Mrs Trellis

We are planning to have gates put across the entrance to our property. The driveway slopes downwards and we want a small breezeblock wall on one side in which to insert a postbox.

I'm getting someone to come and give us a devi but have no idea what price range to expect for this work, excluding the cost of gates which obviously can vary a lot. Any ideas?

[quote user="Mrs Trellis"]We are planning to have gates put across the entrance to our property. The driveway slopes downwards and we want a small breezeblock wall on one side in which to insert a postbox.

I'm getting someone to come and give us a devi but have no idea what price range to expect for this work, excluding the cost of gates which obviously can vary a lot. Any ideas?[/quote]

We had new gates made to measure at 4.5metres by a local manufacturer, the gates are quite light weight, 30mm box section but adequate for our needs, price around 300Euro. I will just add that we already had the stone pillars and I fitted the gates myself, so I couldn't comment on the price of block work etc. Doing some research we found  the likes of LeRoy Merlin, Mr Bricolage etc. were very expensive.

[quote user="Chancer"]Thats a bargain Nick, especially for a larger opening, I would be very pleased to pay that much for made to measure especially in France.[/quote]

Chancer, I was gob smacked when they gave me the devi, I couldn't sign it quick enough in case they changed their mind. As I said they're  not top of the range by any stretch of the imagination , but hey in a small village in the country there's no one to impress. One thing I did learn though , was don't measure too tight, I just got away with it but had to do a bit of fiddling with the brackets, still as the supplied ones were a bit lightweight I made my own, so I had some wiggle room by chopping out the face of the pillars a bit.[:D]

Archived