closing down UK company

Jimbow

We have lived in France for over a year now and are in the process of cutting our ties with the UK.
We are the sole directors of a UK limited Company that is in the process of being closed down by my accountant.
She is asking me if the final monies from the company should be paid out as a dividend or a capital distribution?
We are only talking about a few thousand pounds but I would hate to get caught up in paying social taxes on top of other taxes.
Has anyone any idea what is the best approach?

I closed mine down just before leaving the UK. Down loaded the form of the Companies House website, filled it in and sent it with my cheque for 15 and they do the rest. By that I mean they contact all the relevent authorities to see if they have a 'claim' on the company (like Inland Revenue etc). I did the Vat myself, told them I was closing the company down, they sent me a VAT return that I filled in and paid as normal. The Inland Revenue got in touch and told me how much tax I had to pay so Is ent them a cheque. After 3 months you get a letter back from Companies House which I sent (along with my unused cheques) to my bank and asked them to close the account and forward a cheque to me in my name for the balance which I then put in my personal bank account. My accountant wanted around 900 to do this!

Chris