Keep a house here or not?

[quote user="Ian"]The problem of being not quite well off enough to live off one's investments yet still too young to qualify for retirement benefits has traditionally been solved by the solution of getting a job.

This radical, though rather unfashionable idea, works well in both France and Britain.
[/quote]

Ian, I don't know if your snidey remark is aimed at me but I do have a job here in the UK. I also have a variable income from my freelance work and if I was in France, I will still be receiving royalties from my work but at irregular intervals.

I have not factored this in as it is irregular whereas mortgage payments are.

"Snidey" ..... whoa there, easy tiger!  It wasn't "aimed" at anyone.  

It's just that when making financial plans most people do factor in income from jobs.  And you are right, annual earnings do not need to be paid in twelve (or 52) equal sized installments ... but if it wasn't for jobs most of us couldn't afford to live as we do. 

Now the forum can see you are earning (albeit irregularly) snappy... err, oops, sorry; snapper, then the well meaning and helpful advice that €400 a month is too little to live on becomes obsolete.

If you can afford it:  keep the 2 houses (or more). Is it the best investment for your spare cash? Probably not. Is it a good hedge against the UK property market and a handy insurance policy should you wish to move back? Yes. Can a little piece of England act as an effective real-estate comfort blanket? Yes.

If you can't afford the 2 houses - sell one.

Good luck.