Suggestions for banks in Calais?

Gericault

We have obtained a mortgage offer for a property in Brittany, and have to do the signature de l'acte authentique on or about the 30th April. The mortgage acceptance requires us to give bank details. We will still be resident in UK for the next few years so need a pain-free way to pay services and of course the mortgage. We have an account with HIFX for the conversion. My wife telephoned Britline, who told her they cannot process an account quickly enough, so we want to go to Calais to open an account there. My french is not bad, but my wife's french is very basic. So can anybody recommend a bank?

No particular bank there (though down where I am I love BNP!). I'd think you should be able to walk into any well-known French regular bank (as opposed to Credit Agricole which operates slightly differently) in a sizeable market town, and either stumble along in French or find someone on the staff that speaks at least a bit of English. After a while you have to learn the statements anyway as well as the cheques (even Britline when I was with them only ever sent me correspondence and statements in French!). Just spend a morning walking about and enquiring. You probably won't spend more than an hour before you've hit upon some place where you feel a certain comfort.

Camille

www.maisonquercy.com

We open an account with Credit Lyonaise in Euro-city several years ago prior to moving to France full time. All we needed was our Passports, two utility bills confirming our English address, and the last three months UK bank statements, just for good measure, we also got our bank to give us a letter confirming how long we had been with them.

We had no problems in opening the account, they even opened a savings account as well as a cheque account for us, but asked us to pay approx 1000 Euros into each account before they would issue any cards or cheque books. We were able to do as we had been advised by someone beforehand and took cash with us, however this may now not be applicable, but as you need it in a rush it will save time and show good will. We received pin numbers/cards and a cheque book within 8 days but French banks do not like to send these items through the post and many ask that they are collected in person so that they can be signed for.

You may also bare in mind that if you intend to use a bank that is not close to where you are buying a property you may well encounter difficulties when you ask for either large amounts of cash or bankers drafts as the French do not like you using another branch.

Hope this to be of assistance

Kinde regards and good luck with your purchase.

David and Sam (37)

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure if I have done this the right way, replying to my first post. Apologies if I have offended etiquette.
We visited Calais last week. First stop was at BNP, who told us that we had to make an appointment, I offered to return later that day, the receptionist told us we would have to return later that week! Second stop was Credit Agricole, they asked if it was in connection with buying a house. I explained that we had obtained mortgage offers on a house in Brittany and needed bank details for our lender, the teller said we would have to go to Brittany. Third stop was Barclays on boulevard La Fayette who saw us without an appointment, and phoned through the details of the account later last week. All the staff speak English. They also allow you to transfer money from Barclays UK at a commercial rate. We will however be using HIFX for that, as you can buy two years in advance. The only problem is they (Barclays) require us to have 2300 minimum in the account or we have to pay 48 in charges each quarter, but hey when the heavens are opening up and everyone else is saying there's no room at the inn etc.
Bearing in mind the guidance on advertising, I am merely recounting our experience, I am sure others will have their preferred options.