Exchange advice needed!

Nathalie

OK.  The smug look is wiped off my face, we're due to sign for our house next Friday and after everything has gone so flippin' smoothly so far the tide has now changed.

We're buying with two other sets of friends and the plan was that each couple would transfer their share of the dosh into one account and then whizz the lot to the Notaire.

My wonderful British, well known bank (I hate banks), charmingly says I can't transfer such a large amount of money!  Eh??? Don't they deal with humungous sums every day?!!

And of course the interest rate has been dropping steadily since we signed the compromis...

My question is, after all that ranting, has anyone transferred money via the currency companies and if so, any recommendations??

Frustrated of Yorkshire

Nationwide have no qualms in transfering big wedges of money, we did so yesterday and as soon as I can get this idiotic PC to work, again, as a fax machine it will be transfered via HIFX to our CA account. So to say that they won't transfer large sums they are pulling your leg.

See what the reaction is when you tell them that if they won't then you will take your custom to one who will?

John.

"as soon as I can get this idiotic PC to work, again, as a fax machine it will be transfered via HIFX to our CA account."

John

Were you aware that you can carry out HIFX transactions on the web now, without having to fax the instructions through?

Regards

Chris

What your bank probably means is that you cannot transfer the cash by phone or online, you will need to go to a branch and complete forms (money laundering regs).

Consider using currency houses such as HIFX, but allow a couple of days to get registered with them,you can do it online but still have to sign a form etc.  Once registered, you can then phone them each day to find out the current rate, which depends on how much you are transferring, whether it is a 'spot' transaction or a 'forward' transaction.  All is explained on their website, as it is on any of the other companies.

Regards,

Bob

Used my bank to buy the place last year, for the new roof we are in the middle of using currencies4less. Seems quite painless up to now...... well as painless as spending a few grand can be. The rate was better with C4L and the 'transmission charge' was £10 compared to £20 for the bank.

Cheers

Hi again

Thanks very much for all that useful advice.  Currencies4less have quoted us a better rate than the bank.

Our agent cashed our UK cheque for the deposit last week and the rate worked out at 1.46 which is quite good compared to today's bank rate.   Can anyone tell us what today's rate happens to me in France?  We were wondering if the Notaire would accept a cheque and we could benefit from the better rate.....

Trying to find the current rate of exchange is a nightmare via the web - probably not looking in the right place.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice, the LF forum is worht its weight in gold!.

Not quite so frustrated of Yorkshire

Hi Nathalie,

Try the site at www.xe.com they give the rate clearly, it must be if I can understand it! At the moment the comercial rate is 1.44663. They also have a calculator so you trype in £s and it gives it in €s. The money transferers don't give quite that rate, but it is about as close as we have found.

We use HIFX for our transfers, they don't charge for the service, they make their money from the trading difference and we have found them very good and quick. In fact the last time we used them was today...

Good luck.

John.

Chris,

I nearly forgot, we used e-mail to do the transaction and everything went like magic. At the moment we woud only need the fax, still knacked, to do the CHAPS from Nationwide. With a bit of kicking we may even be able to use e-mail with them, but that won't be for a while now, no  money left .

John

[quote]We have also used Currencies4Less and found them very efficient. You can also negotiate a better currency exchange rate if you are transferring a large amount.Good luck[/quote]

Is it still better to use currencies4less for an amount under £5000.00?

Vanessa