Banks, Transfers and exchange rates....

Nathalie

Hi again

Further to my previous post....

Banks and Transfers: Went to the bank itself to make the transfer I needed, was told it would definitely be done the following day and I asked that I be telephoned to confirm as it was time critical.  I got a phone message at 5.40pm to say that ... it hadn't been done, would be done the following day, so sorry.  So deadline was missed.

Following day I make an appointment to see the bank manager, and made my point quite firmly and politely what I thought of his organisation's service and we settled upon a free CHAPS service to get the money transferred there and then, particularly after I said that if the money couldn't be transferred by the deadline I'd like it in cash there and then please....  my money, after all.  However, the story dosn't end there, the bank manager left a message with my daughter a bit later on to say he would ring back Monday which to me doesn't bode well.....

Banks and Exchange Rates: I rang the French bank nearest to our (soon to be) French home and asked about exchange rates.  I nearly fell off my chair when I was told a figure that was beneficial to us by £6,000!!!  I explained that we were very near to signing l'Acte Authentique and wanted to exchange the purchase price in France from sterling to euros and then immediately zap it to the Notaire.  No problem, she said, I'll open your account now, over the 'phone, and you can send me copies of the paperwork (passports, utlity bill).  She took all the details and called me back 5 minutes later with the RIB details and my account number.  We get internet access, debit card and chequier for the grand total of 4 euros 33 a month.  What about other fees, ie. for setting up a direct debit?  No fees.

This lady was so helpful, and so willing to take the time to help, it was a complete contrast.  I am so glad I took heed of the posts regarding CA Britline (to join is a right rigmarole) and decided to try a different avenue.

Of course, I'll probably just wake up and realise it was all a beautiful dream....

Nathalie