French Income Tax rebate

Feuillant

I am feeling very perky as we have just received a handsome tax rebate for the costs of putting in our fosse septique!

Particularly perky as I did the tax return on line!

So far so good - BUT can any-one get to grips with how this can have happened, as we are still currently paying our taxes in England, while waiting for the relentless bureaucracy to transfer our tax affairs to France, - so, on what has the rebate been given, as we have paid no tax here?! (or do they rebate tax for septic tanks in England now?).

I have no doubt we are entitled to the rebate, it's just getting my head round HOW!

Any suggerstions, and as it's the silly season the zanier the better, gratefully enjoyed...

Reading your posting prompted me to look at the tax return guide (form 2041-NOT-K) for 2004.

Reading this it appears that you can claim 15% of the cost of materials only (nothing for labour charges), up to a maximum of 8000€ for a couple.

Fosse's are not mentioned, it only states " - gross appareils sanitaires : cabines hammam ou sauna.

Is there another document which states that a fosse is a deductible expense? And better still states that the labour charge is deductible? - 15% of the materials is not a great deal of money in my case.

With regards to your tax situation, if you reported all of your UK income including all unearned income and detailed any tax already paid you should br OK!

We got a big refund too (tho no septic tank this year)...... French tax office had left out a big chunk of our income even though we also filed online.

Tax office agree that it is wrong and state that we will get an amended notice "at the end of the year - not before" and that we should just hang on the the money until then!

I should check that all your income is shown on the notice - even that which will still be taxed in the UK, if any, as the tax rate on the rest is affected by your global income.

Hope it is all correct and you get to keep the money.....!

Hereford