House selling problem

I wonder if anyone can help. SWe are trying to sell a house in the Aude depertement for about €110,000. A number of people have visited the house, liked it and were seriously considering putting in an offer. However, what has prevented them from doing so was the untidiness around the house caused by our neighbour. In the past we have been very kind to him and his family and have done him some big favours. I have written to him asking if in this case he could help us out by having a big tidy up to help us sell the house.

I am not convinced that he will cooperate either at all, sufficiently or for long enough.

What I am think is of offering him 5% of the sale receipts if he does his bit to make the house more saleable. This would then be an incentive especially as he is almost bankrupt. What are your thoughts?

Stuart

I assume your neighbour doesn't leave his mess on your land!

Is your house semi-detatched?

What sort of untidiness qare you talking about? Does he have old rusting cars and the like?

When you bought the house, was his mess there then?

If you ask your neighbour nicely and he refuses, perhaps you should ask the Maire to put some pressure on him. Is there a hygene risk ?

I think it would be madness to consider paying him to clear up his mess. He could hold you to ransom ) and don't forget, once you have handed over the money, you don't have a leg to stand on - no guarantee that he will keep the place tidy.

If it is just junk and garden mess why not suggest giving him a friendly hand to clear it out and flymo/rotivate it over even if you pay a jardinier for a few days, maybe even spread a load of chaux around the drives and paths whatever; how quick can he mess it up again?.[8-|]

Fencing or screening?

Around me Steptoes yard front and rear gardens as you have described are the norme, it is viewed as a sign of wealth and often cars leave la dechetterie more laden than when they arrive, in the rare instances that people have a tidy up they get asked "are you moving then?"

My closest neighbour is very proud of his collection dating back the 30 odd years of his tenure and usually manages to vide my remorque before I leave for la dechetterie, he is currently arranging a divorce settlement with his alcoholic wife, she has had to begrudgingly accept a very low cash offer from him to buy her out because the agents made woefully low sales valuations due to it resembling the aftermath of a pikey invasion. Mind you he is always my first stop when I need a second hand widget.

If the untidiness that you are referring to is what you would consider old junk then you may have a problem unless you or your neighbour have somewhereelse  to store it.

Are you hoping to find an  English or French buyer?