RSI Social Security

Paul

Hi Guys

Hope you can help,

Is there somewere , website or maybe on the forum for people who have set up a buisness ,to know what taxes /social security they should be roughly paying.I keep recieving bills from Rsi and Urssaf . I have spoken to my accontant who as explained what everything is , but i would like some literature so i can get my head round it and stop ringing him with questions.

Every time i get post ,there is always some bill that needs paying never seems to end . My accountant is saving me money and reducing these bills but this cant go on for ever ,- he doesn't half charge for it!

Regards

Paolo

Exactly what you pay and who you pay it to, depends on what you do. Most self-employed people have to pay three organisations.

First -the primary medical assurance provider (equivalent to the local CPAM that salaried or non-working people pay into). It is not to be confused with your top-up, or complementaire, health assurance.

Second, a retirement fund.

(Under reforms begun in 2006 which will apply to most non-agricultural workers, the above contribitions will be collected by RSI, the Regime Social des Independants. This is in the course of being implemented, and does not seem to apply to everybody yet).

Third, URSSAF, which takes your contributions to things like the unemployment fund and family allowances, as well as the 'social charges', CRS, CRDS etc.

All of these are compulsory, though I am told that a few professions do not have a retirement fund associated with them, so they are exceptions. According to our accountant, these amount to around 46% of your basic taxable income. In the first two or three years you will not have income records so the contributions are based on an average: if you look like paying an excessive amount then it is possible, much easier with a good accountant, to pay different amounts nearer to your actual income - this is an area where there has been much talk of reform.

In addition you may get demands for other things associated with your profession, such as professional organisation membership, affiliation to certain accountaing regimes, professional training funds, professional tax and various other smaller amounts.

So yes, there are always bills to be paid, but a good accountant will help you keep the many outgoings to a minimum.

I don't know of any literature that gives a 'joined-up' picture, probably as things vary so much between professions, trades etc, and things are changing so much. You may find something published by local chambers of commerce, etc, who are good sources of information, but these will of course be in French.