Long-Term Incapacity Benefit Payments

Grecian

Having ploughed through yet another book on moving to France, this book has thrown up a question regarding the level of payment for long-term incapacity payments.

In the latest publication I have read, Retiring in France, it states that: 'in France the amount payable is calculated at the same rate as the French authorities pay to French nationals, so you may find the benefit significantly reduced'.

Can anybody shed any light on this please, is it right that the UK level of payment of £81.35 a week is not paid to anyone living in France, but at the French equivalent rate, whatever that may be.

As ever any help is gratefully appreciated.

As no one else has replied I'll pass on our experience although Mrs Benjamin ceased receiving long term incapacity benefit in November 2005 so my current knowledge is less than up to date.

Until that date and for the 13 years previously that we spent living in E U countries (other than the UK) her IB was paid at UK rates and each annual inflation linked increase was also included.

What might have happened since is anyone's guess but I have not heard anything to the contrary.

A Google of Retiring in France brings up a Barclays Bank web site so it surprises me that they may have got it wrong.

The people to give you a definitive answer are the Medical Benefits section in Newcastle.

I have been getting incapacity benefit since I moved here five years ago.  I have never heard of anything like this, and the rate, as far as I know, is exactly what I would get in England.  I noticed this as the French rate is actually a bit higher.  However, one might add that that French "allocation handicappe" is income based, so one does not get it no matter what one's income (as in the UK case).  Anyway I have never heard my payments were anything other than the standard UK rate.  Although I seem to have misplaced the last few bank statements, the payments I get are now paid directly into my bank account in France, in euros.  Makes it easier to "prove" my income to the French tax people.  And the first few payments of the year were 473, 473 and 465.  Plus change.  No idea what the exchange rate was on the exact day the payment was made.  Of course you lose the incapacity payment when you begin to get the state pension, but maybe you knew that.

Post again if you find out anything different than what I say.  Thanks. 

Thanks to you both for answering. I must say that as you say TreizeVents, it is the first time that I have come across the passage quoted from Retiring in France myself, having read a lot of publications and surfed the internet. It could be a case of the author getting his wires crossed on this occassion.

Certainly will post any information we receive, when my wife applies for her E121 if we are told that the rate has changed.