Claiming interest on money with notaire-is that possible?

Paul Bradford

I seem to remember something about being able to claim interest from the Solicitor holding your money during a house purchase in the UK. I wonder whether it's possible to request it from the Notaire here? They are holding onto your deposit for some time and obviously obtaining interest on it. Has anyone tried to get 'their' interest back?

Paul

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply, but that doesn't really answer the question. We don't get interest on our current account either, but do with the savings account that is linked to it. What is to stop the Notaire putting the money into an interest bearing account?

Paul

I think it's part of thier perks. We sold one house pre-euro and while the Notaire held ALL the proceeds of the sale,the franc ent from 9-7 per pound.His 4 months of messing about cost us nearly £7.000. He's retired now,probably on the proceeds of doing that a few times. That is how we felt but obviously the drop in the Franc wasn't his fault and they do take thier time if there is any tax to be collected. I may be wrong but I believe you have to notify a UK solicitorthat you want the interest on a deposit credited to your account.?

Regards.

Secure accounts used by notaires and estate agents in France for holding clients' money do not attract interest.

Perhaps more to the point is the way that notaires often hang on to refunds due to clients, often for months (or even into years if you let them). No interest is payable then - perhaps it should be?