90 Day rule change

It does not affect us, so I have not paid much attention.  I understand that there is some excitement over both the French and Spanish seeking to drop the 90 day limit for Brits visiting their countries?

Allegedly, the National Assembly still has to debate the change before it can become law and, I have read, that Emmanuel Macron's party has said it would oppose the change.

53 minutes ago, Lehaut said:

It does not affect us, so I have not paid much attention.  I understand that there is some excitement over both the French and Spanish seeking to drop the 90 day limit for Brits visiting their countries?

Allegedly, the National Assembly still has to debate the change before it can become law and, I have read, that Emmanuel Macron's party has said it would oppose the change.

Don't think it will effect us either. we shall possibility be dead before then..

There has been some discussion in the anglophone community (particularly by British citizens) and there have been some articles in the French press about a number of proposed amendments to the French government's upcoming immigration bill.
These amendments, if passed, would have an as-of-yet undetermined effect on the eligibility of second home owners for visas, possibly creating a new visa path for those affected.
However, as none of these amendments have become law yet, and there is no guarantee that any of them will, and as there is no indication of how they will apply if they do become law, it is just a matter of playing the waiting game for those who might be affected.

How does it work the other way around? French owners of UK property?

Is it the 90 day rule ?

Everytime we go through Border force they quiz us like we are Colombian drug smugglers. Where are you staying…when are you going home ?

umm…staying with my mum for a couple of days….mate. Is that alright with you ?

Edited by alittlebitfrench
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Is it the 90 day rule ?

Everytime we go through Border force they quiz us like we are Colombian drug smugglers. Where are you staying…when are you going home ?

We have never been questioned in 20 years. Maybe you do look like a Colombian drug smuggler. French can stay in the UK for 180 days

• Haha 1

50 minutes ago, NickP said:

We have never been questioned in 20 years. Maybe you do look like a Colombian drug smuggler. French can stay in the UK for 180 days

The thing is, I travel on my British passport and so does my little one…..he just has a French identity card that does not work when going to the UK. Mum and the other two kids travel on their French passports. So it all gets a bit complicated for the border staff.

When we went to the lakes a year or so back, we got quizzed for about five minutes at Portsémouth docks by some SWAT border staff police type thing. He really wanted to know where we where staying and when we were going back. Even started asking trick questions about the lakes. Of course being ALBF, I out smarted him because I know the lakes quite well. When he was satisfied he let us on our merry way. He was assured that we were not living in the UK and not trying to pull a fast one. When we pulled out of the dock I said to OH ‘what the **** was all that about’ ?

Then a month back the same thing happened at Stansted. You can pass through passport Control as a family as we did. Same thing, questions questions questions. 

I reckon those pesky French are flouting the rules and they are trying to catch them.

More French live in the UK.

It works both ways.

We are off again next month…..I bet we will get the third degree again.

37 minutes ago, menthe said:

ALBF maybe try to look less shifty and ditch that smarta.s.s act?

What smartàss act ?

Just telling you how life is outside your little Brit living in France Dordogne bubble.

We have to go through all this and I we did not vote for anything.

We want to be left alone when going on holiday. Not given the third degree.

22 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

Is it the 90 day rule ?

Yet again hi-jacking a topic and diverting it to seek attention. Once pointed out it is easy to spot, so why not try something else?

ALBF you have my sympathy. Unfortunately your mixed nationality family is always likely to attract the attention of an unimaginative jobsworth with time on his hands. If it makes you feel any better, I came back via Eurostar a couple of weeks back and the French customs officer didn't believe my article 50 carte de sejour was genuine ( he wouldn't admit it but I think it was the first he'd seen ) so kept asking me how long I intended to stay in France. 'Until I die' apparently wasn't an acceptable answer.😒

4 hours ago, NormanH said:

Yet again hi-jacking a topic and diverting it to seek attention. Once pointed out it is easy to spot, so why not try something else?

Not hijacking…just saying the rules work both ways. With examples of real life issues that French peeps face.

This is a ‘French’ forum so we can talk about the issues that effect the French as well. No ?

• Like 1

20 hours ago, alittlebitfrench said:

I knew I was not dreaming

I read the same article after reading your posts.  I then realised you were talking about Ferry ports.  When we have flown to the UK the checks are done individually, but a ferry you are all together?  If you were "smuggling" in the "French" members of your family, it would be easy to go to ground with them for over the 6mth rule as there is no way to find them.  So I suppose this could explain their zealous attitude.